Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tommls
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Tom Lyczko

Gostev's newsletter

Post by tommls » 2 people like this post

Is Gostev's newsletter discontinued??
If not, how do I get re-subscribed??
I've been away from Veeam for over a year, is there an archive of previous newsletters??
Thank you, :) tom
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: Gostev's newsletter

Post by tyler.jurgens » 4 people like this post

A weekly "Veeam R&D Forums Digest" email still goes out. Unfortunately, Gostev no longer adds his part. I hope he resumes that, it was always a good read.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
tommls
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Tom Lyczko

Post by tommls » 3 people like this post

Yes, I receive the digest. I'm sorry Gostev stopped writing for the digest, it was a highlight of my week. :(
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 » 3 people like this post

loved it too. monday was my favorite day of the week.
ftravinsky
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Fedor Travinsky

Post by ftravinsky » 4 people like this post

Author’s explanation in 02.05.2022 newsletter:
THE WORD FROM GOSTEV
Hey folks, I figured I'd check in with a short update and let you know that I'm alive and OK.

For the first few weeks of the Ukrainian conflict my head was really somewhere else and I just couldn't get back to my daily routines, let alone recover my inspiration to continue this newsletter. I was literally spending most of my free time monitoring the news and talking to the Ukrainians I know, just to learn about some new atrocity committed every day... which obviously did not help my mental state. Luckily, eventually I "found myself" in directly supporting a few Ukrainian refugee families who ended up here in Switzerland – and doing this has relieved me somewhat. So please know this is where the personal time I used to spend writing this newsletter was repurposed to. Even if I always come back from those kids who had their lives ruined with a heavy heart, at least this gives me the feeling of an actual purpose in this whole situation.

My best friend told me last week that I should really try and resume these newsletters. This made me realize that I too miss them much, as I really enjoyed writing and talking to you through them. But it's also obvious to me this is not something I can just take and reproduce mechanically because that little muse in me died. I will keep trying to resume them at least in some format, likely shorter and drier – but I'm not really sure it's going to work until normal life returns.
Outlaw
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by Outlaw » 2 people like this post

Gostev is a man, unlike a mamont
hercous
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Petr Herzig

Post by hercous » 2 people like this post

I also miss Gostev's newsletter. But I understand his reasons ... :|
Samba222
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Ronald

Post by Samba222 » 2 people like this post

++
... oh yes, i also miss the part of Anton :(
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover » 3 people like this post

I miss the newsletter too, but would also add that Anton has taken on a lot more responsibility in last few months. He's now Chief Product Officer, with the dev/qa organization reports into him and there are more releases than ever. That being said, Gostev is as Gostev as ever. I've never seen someone change so much yet remain the same.

All that aside, myself and Madalina are trying to fill a gap in a way that we'll never come close to what Anton would do, but I make a very deliberate effort to relay an key KB articles, critical Veeam news, etc. as well as featuring some highlighted content (and we pull some of these R&D Forums posts in sometimes) with the Veeam Community Recap. We commit to a weekly update both video and readable form: https://community.veeam.com/news-56 It's a 'news' post that we'll do weekly. Definitely not the Word from Gostev, but my stab at relaying Veeam news, product info and more on a weekly cadence.
dloseke
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Derek M. Loseke

Post by dloseke » 3 people like this post

I too miss the newsletter. Every Sunday night I check the forums digest to see if there's something from him there, but nothing. But I understand....I have a hard time blogging on a regular, let alone writing a newsletter weekly. Seems like a lot to me. But as Rick mentioned, he and Madi do a great job on the weekly recap video's in the Community Hub (they're hosted on YouTube, so you can subscribe to get alerts for new video postings as well).
Derek M. Loseke, Senior Systems Engineer | Veeam Legend 2022-2023 | VMSP/VMTSP | VCP6-DCV | VSP/VTSP | CCNA | https://technotesanddadjokes.com | @dloseke
tinto1970
Veeam Legend
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Alessandro T.

Post by tinto1970 »

everyone used to read the newsletter is missing it for sure.
I told him in person when he attended a Veeam event in Milan at the end of the last year. He gave me an answer but I will keep it private.

Anyway I hope that it's just suspended, not ended :wink:
Alessandro aka Tinto | VMCE 2024 | Veeam Legend | VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT2023 | vExpert 2024
blog.tinivelli.com
dips
Veeam Legend
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Dipen N Kumar

Post by dips »

I miss it too.
It was a wealth of information and I hope it will return someday.

Is this something we can do via the Veeam Community? Collate a list of information that might be useful and send out as a newsletter once a week. Maybe each VUG Leader picks a topic to include.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

@dips -> I try to cover it, but of in a different way. The one thing I don't disclose on the Community Recap is internal product milestones - like if an upcoming product or its beta goes from dev to QA or will soon be sent to stage to the website, etc. Those narratives are best aligned to external comms and of course I keep the Veeam100 up to date :)
dips
Veeam Legend
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Dipen N Kumar

Post by dips »

Gotcha, thanks @Rick.Vanover
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan »

Gostev would also relay important information from the broad IT landscape.
I loved that newsletter and miss it as well.