Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Doubts regarding offloading data to Object Storage

Post by ibarizz »

I have in mind the following scenarios for a customer, I just wanna know if they can be achieved by Veeam:

We have multiple backups in a onpremise repository (An Exagrid exactly). All of them placed in the same Share.
We want to move historical backups (mensual and anual) to S3. The customer wants to avoid moving all the backups, he only wants to preserve historical to S3, not daily backups. Being said, he wants to use S3 Glacier instead of S3 standard as it's cheaper.

Here the questions:
If I use GFS for the mensual and anual backups; can I use only an archive tier and bypassing the capacity tier so I only copy those GFS backups to S3 Glacier? Or it's really neccesary to go thorugh the capacity tier first and then move those backups to Glacier? In that case, can't I use S3 Glacier as capacity tier?

The other scenario I was thinking is the nest:
Backup in the past they werent using GFS, instead they used a separated job for mensual and anual backups. In that case, can I use backup copy to a direct storage S3 Glacier of those backups instead of using SOBR?

As you can see, I just wanna avoid offloading all my backups to S3, only offload the historical ones and use the cheaper S3 class.
Any suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated.

Thank you!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Doubts regarding offloading data to Object Storage

Post by Mildur »

Hello Ibarizz
can I use only an archive tier and bypassing the capacity tier so I only copy those GFS backups to S3 Glacier?
Or it's really neccesary to go thorugh the capacity tier first and then move those backups to Glacier?
Backups must go to AWS S3 (performance tier or capacity tier) first, before you can offload them to S3 Glacier. You can use a SOBR with performance tier extends on AWS S3 and from there move backups directly to Archive Tier (S3 Glacier).
In that case, can't I use S3 Glacier as capacity tier?
No. S3 Glacier is archive tier only.
In that case, can I use backup copy to a direct storage S3 Glacier of those backups instead of using SOBR?
Veeam Backup & Replication v12 allows you to copy backups directly to AWS S3, but not to S3 Glacier. For S3 Glacier, a SOBR is still required.
As you can see, I just wanna avoid offloading all my backups to S3, only offload the historical ones and use the cheaper S3 class.
Any suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated.
Offloading data is forever incremental with object storage. We only upload a single full backup to object storage and then only changed or new data. Each monthly backup will contain a large part of the changed or new data. You won't save much money on not uploading daily restore points. Changed or new data compared to the last GFS restore point still has to be uploaded at some point to have a monthly restore point in object storage.

I recommend to reconsider the offload strategy. Uploading only monthly and yearly backups to object storage may save you some cost, but loosing your backups on Exagrid and only having monthly backups to recover your entire production environment may cost a lot more money. There might be a huge data loss if you need to recover a production file or database server from 30 days ago.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software