Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dejvoch
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Svoboda

Backup Job - Shared Mailboxes - Auto-update

Post by dejvoch »

Hello,
I was wondering if there is a way to create backup job that will contain all Shared Mailboxes only and in case of any new Shared Mailbox it will be automatically added to the backup job.

So I thought of using the PowerShell, prepare script and run scheduled task to check for new Shared Mailboxes.
However I failed with this at the very beginning, because I found out that Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 doesn't distinguish properly between Shared Mailboxes and User Mailboxes.
See example below:
Exchange Online - Prove it is a Shared Mailbox
Veeam Console - Creating new Job - Adding user - it doesn't say anything about Shared Mailbox
Hence PowerShell won't filter any Shared Mailbox of my organization

Is here a way how to achive (semi-)automated job to backup current and future new Shared Mailboxes?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup Job - Shared Mailboxes - Auto-update

Post by Mildur »

Hi David

Welcome to the R&D Forums.
Have you already tried adding the shared mailboxed with the help of Groups?

You can create a Group on Exchange Online, add the shared mailboxes to that group.
When creating the backup job in VB365, add the group as a source and everytime the backup jobs runs, VB365 will backup all shared mailboxes in that group.
If you have already an automatic user/shared mailbox enrollment process, you can add the shared mailbox automatically to the group. This would be the simplest solution to achieve your goal.

Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dejvoch
Lurker
Full Name: David Svoboda

Post by dejvoch »

Hello Mildur,
but could you tell me why the command

Code: Select all

Get-VBOOrganizationUser -Organization $org -Type SharedMailbox
returns nothing? According to documentation it should work but it doesn't.
Thank you,
David
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello David

Do you have configured the organization in VB365 with Modern App-Only Authentication?
It's a limitation for Modern App-Only Authentication, that the Mailbox type is not visible to VB365 for the configuration of backup jobs.
You will see the shared mailboxes with the same type as a normal user.

Code: Select all

Get-VBOOrganizationUser -Organization $org -Type User
Your command works when using Modern Authentication and Legacy Protocols.

https://www.veeam.com/kb3146
The type property for shared and resource/equipment mailboxes cannot be resolved. Such mailboxes will be available for backup with a general ‘User’ type (Note: This limitation only applies to creating a backup jobs and does not affect licensing).
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

To add additional information to the above limitation in Modern Authentication. We have a beta API from MSFT at this moment which we are testing and that should resolve that above issue in future versions. However, we have not yet tested this at scale and with the GA version of that MSFT API. Only after that we can add it to the solution
sdsnyr94
Lurker
Full Name: Scott Smith

Post by sdsnyr94 »

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but has there been any movement with that "beta" API ?

I just noticed that none of my Shared Mailboxes are being backed up properly, and before I go the route of creating a group and building a new job for the mailboxes I want to make sure I didn't miss anything new in V6 or V7... I was still running V5 until last week.

Also, what would be the correct procedure for this scenario: A corporate user leaves the company, and we convert the mailbox to a shared mailbox for a few months to make sure emails are not missed. From what I am seeing, the backups stop at the moment I change/remove the Microsoft Licensing. Is the correct procedure to add this to a "Shared Mailbox by group" job, and use that for the updated backups?

Thanks in advance.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Scott and welcome to Veeam Forums!

First, what auth type are you using? If you're on modern app-only auth (which is recommended) Shared Mailboxes should be backed up by default regardless of the product version, but the limitation is that they are displayed with the User type. Are you quite sure they were not backed up at all?

The flow makes sense, and if you convert a mailbox to shared it continues to be protected for free on Veeam's side - no Veeam license is required if such a mailbox doesn't have a license and Exchange Online plan in M365.

Next, we're working on a big patch (for v7) that will deliver not only bug fixes but also bring an ability to identify shared mailbox type properly. This will require some additional permissions granted to the app you're using.

Thanks!
sdsnyr94
Lurker
Full Name: Scott Smith

Post by sdsnyr94 »

Hi Polina,

Sorry, I've been a bit busy with a few other projects and keep forgetting to respond.

We do have the modern app-only authentication set up, and those shared mailboxes definitely were not backing up.. the date of the last email in the mailboxes was the date that they were converted.

For now, I went the route of adding the high priority shared mailboxes to a group, and creating a backup job based on the group. Once I did that, the mailbox backups began to update properly.

Do you have a rough timeframe for the "big patch"?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Scott,

The patch is already released: https://www.veeam.com/kb4425
Check out this post as well for links to Release notes and HelpCenter: post218411.html#p218411

Thanks!
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver »

Is there an ETA for the revised CP4 patch (3986)?

On one of the systems we manage for our customers, we already had installed 3986 before it was retracted. No memory issues so far. Though Shared-Mailboxes on this system are still only shown as "User". Did we miss something? The helpcenter is not very specific here. It would be great to have some guidance how to build a job with e.g. Shared-Mailboxes specifically.

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi MDiver

No date yet.
Did you have updated the permissions as documented in the release notes (for 3968) and user guide? If you don't update the permissions of the App, type will still be shown as "user".

Please check the following two permissions for your Azure AD Application:
- Global Reader Role to Azure AD Application
- Office 365 Exchange Online --> Exchange.ManageAsApp
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70

Best,
Fabian
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver »

I'll check with the AzureAD admins there.
Wouldn't the "Grant permissions..." checkbox in the tenant setup wizard take care of that?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello

Yes, editing the organization the organization wizard in the VB365 backup console will take care of those permissions if you choose that checkbox.
I suggest to check the permissions. If they are not set, configure them manually and check the VB365 server again. If such mailboxes still show the type "user", open a support case and provide me with the case number.

Best,
Fabian