Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
ichill
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ian Hill

Diagnostic log improvement suggestion

Post by ichill »

VB365 runs remotely from me. I rely heavily on emailed logs to assess whether I need to make a physical trip into the site to address any issues.

I received this emailed log a few days ago:

Backup job: Daily backup SharePoint, email and OneDrive to PBC801 6TB (Combined)
Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Warning 0 of 0 objects processed 9/4/2023 1:30:00 AM
Success 0 Start time 1:30:00 AM Objects processed 0 of 0 Details
Warning 0 End time 2:00:01 AM Items transferred 0 Nothing to process
Error 0 Duration 0:30:01 Data transferred 0 B
Details Type Name Status Start time End time Items Data size Details
Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 7.0.0.3604

It kinda looks OK but the fact that no objects were processed is a red flag. So I made the trip in and found this message in the VB365 app's logs:

"X This drive is locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel."

It would be really helpful to have messages like this in the log that gets emailed to me, as well as in the app's log window.

Thank you for considering!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Diagnostic log improvement suggestion

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for letting us know. I do have a question here. The drive is locked? VB365 should be able to work with bitlocker if you are using a jet-DB based repository. The OS would know about it and VB365 should not even be aware of this. So my question here, is this an external drive or something else?
ichill
Novice

Post by ichill »

It is an external USB drive connected to Windows.

Unfortunately when Windows updates and reboots, the external USB disk remains locked and backups do not resume until I arrive at the site to put in the password. I’m trying to work around this by scheduling Windows updates on a certain day every fortnight so I can arrive simultaneous… but it’s not really ideal. 🙄

If there’s a way to ensure VB365 knows the password and how to unlock the disk after boot up, I’d be really pleased to know how to achieve that! Cheers! 😄
ichill
Novice

Post by ichill » 1 person likes this post

https://www.makeuseof.com/bitlocker-auto-unlock-enable/ 🙈 So, yes, it looks like I can set the disk to auto unlock on reboot on that specific PC. I’m so embarrassed I didn’t know this…

Thank you for asking the question that prompted me to look!

Ian