Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Failover Cluster Object

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

We have a Failover Cluster with two physical nodes. Both the protection group and the backup job are referring to the AD Cluster Object.

For about a week now, there is an error when the rescan is done of the protection group, saying that one of the nodes has been removed from the cluster, and when I click on the cluster object in the left pane, only one node is shown. But we cannot find anything wrong with the cluster.

Fortunately, the agent backup job still works and does the backups just fine.

My question is, can I remove the cluster object from the protection group, and add it again (to see if that solves the problem), without jeopardizing the function of the backup job?

Kind regards,
PJ
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Failover Cluster Object

Post by Mildur »

Hi PJ

You cannot remove the cluster from a protection group if the cluster is currently directly protected by the backup job. There will be an error message that the cluster is currently used by a source job. It may work if you have added the protection group to the job instead of the cluster object. Backup chains should be able to continue because BIOS UUID of the hosts doesn't have changed.

But I recommend to open a support case to troubleshoot the cause of this error instead of trying to solve it yourself. If you do so, please provide me with the case number. The issue may come back or maybe could be a bug in our product. If it's a bug, we would be happy to analyze the issue on our side.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Okay. Unfortunately I have used the cluster object in the backup job, and not the protection group...

Is it possible to collect logs specifically for the rescan of the protection group? Or is it the agent logs from the cluster nodes that are useful? Or something else?

PJ
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi PJ

You can export logs for the agents in the cluster. Rescan logs will be included.
Second Option: "Export logs for those objects".
https://www.veeam.com/kb1832

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software