Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
barrett27
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

License: socket vs instance

Post by barrett27 »

Hello,
I found on a customer Veeam installation a license with 12 socket (all used) and 6 instances (only one used)

One of the VMs whose backup ended regularly, has been moved on a new vcenter, so when I added to the Veeam inventory the new vcenter I got an error because I haven't any other socket licensed.

I decided to move from VMware backup to Windows Agent to leverage the free instances slots, but i get always the same error even though the vcenter was removed from the inventory.

When socket limit is reached, instance slots are not usable anymore?

Thanks

db
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: License: socket vs instance

Post by Mildur »

Hello Barrett

If a socket license is installed and the hypervisor was added to the backup server, Agent backups on those virtual machines will be licensed via the socket license and not with instances. I recommend to contact a Veeam sales representative in your region to discuss your options (migrate to VUL, getting new sockets).

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Note that you can use Veeam Agents to protect VMs residing on a virtualization host that consumes a per-socket license. In this scenario, Veeam Agents will not consume instances in the license.
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
barrett27
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Re: License: socket vs instance

Post by barrett27 »

Hello Fabian,
thank you for the reply.

We are moving to an instance license, but only for a better understanding:
There is a Win backup job that is licensed via the instance license, but I cannot run it manually or edit it and it works fine every day.
Also...
Note that you can use Veeam Agents to protect VMs residing on a virtualization host that consumes a per-socket license
VM is not residing on a virtualization host anymore

db