Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jay262
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jay Summers

Options for centralized Agent management

Post by jay262 »

Hi all,

We have about 100 remote users, users do not connect via VPN. We also have a VBR infrastructure where the Veeam server runs in AWS and protects AWS VMs as well as some on-prem VMs. Backup is a combination of S3 for workloads running in AWS and SOBR going to Wasabi for on-prem workloads. Given that the VBR server runs in AWS and we have remote users that do not use VPN, is there any way to do a centralized management of the remote users? I know that if the remote users all connected via VPN, they could "see" the VBR server and we could protected the remote users via Protection groups (i.e., server managed agents). However, since the remote users do not connect using VPN and it would be a bad idea to allow access to the VBR server from anywhere (opening required firewall ports) are there any options for a centralized management? I know with Cloud Connect it is an option, but it is not something we're using or plan on using.

Unless I am missing something, my guess is that there is no way to have any sort of centralized backup management of remote users if they are note on the same network as the VBR server or we poke the VBR server full of holes by opening firewall ports.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Jay
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Options for centralized Agent management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jay,

Yes, you can use Veeam Service Provider Console to centrally manage roaming profiles, laptops etc. Veeam Cloud Connect does not provide this capability; it can only accept data but does not manage jobs, agent updates, upgrades etc. Here is a bit more info on this > Scenario A. Managing Veeam Backup Agents

BTW, this product is available not only to service providers.

Thanks!
jay262
Novice

Post by jay262 »

Vitaliy,

Thanks for the quick response! If I am reading your response correctly, I could just download and install the Veeam Service provider console to centrally manage the remote use backups, without using Cloud Connect? We don't have any intentions of using a Cloud Connect provider.
jay262
Novice

Post by jay262 »

Vitaliy,

you mentioned that "this product is available not only to service providers" I can't find a way to download it without registering as a service provider. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam Cloud Connect (VCC) is part of this solution, but you don't need to back up to a cloud repository. All sub-tenants, quotas, and no VPN connection.... everything is done by VCC. VSPC + VCC provides a solution to connect and manage those backup agents. Both products can be hosted in your infrastructure.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please contact your Veeam SE to assist with this, since you will also need a VCC license key to unlock all the features.