Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 83 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

the „ugly“ NAS repository question

Post by karsten123 »

I am sorry to bring this up to you.

We have a NAS (sometimes it is what is) and now we evaluate the safest and reliable way to run this as a repository. At least it is a unit with ECC memory and enterprise disks with permanent cache.
I think we should go with NFS. What is the safest version? 3, 4 or 4.1?
Is there any other option (NAS and Veeam) to care about or does Veeam everything (write through, …)?
We are on VBR 11a latest right now.
Is it safe to load balance nics switch independant or should we go with active/ passive?

thx in advance
Karsten
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2306 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: the „ugly“ NAS repository question

Post by Mildur »

Hi Karsten
I think we should go with NFS. What is the safest version? 3, 4 or 4.1?
We only support 3 or 4.1. NFS v4.1 protocol provides more security features.

NAS with NFS and almost all SMB implementation doesn't allow you to use Fast Clone. Did you have considered using this NAS as an iSCSI target for a Windows or Linux based repository?
With NFS you would require a lot more disk depending on how many synthetic/active fulls the job will create and keep. With Fast Clone you will get fast and space less synthetic full backups.
Is it safe to load balance nics switch independant or should we go with active/ passive?
Veeam does not care about such options. This is managed on the operating system layer.
With iSCSI volumes I would not use LACP, load balancing or similar techniques. For iSCSI use Multipath I/O to optimize the throughput between the iSCSI Initiator and iSCSI target.

In case you use the NAS with SMB or NFS on a second location or as a WAN target, make sure to deploy a Gateway Server in that location. Health check or backup file transformations will benefit from it.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
karsten123
Service Provider

Post by karsten123 »

Hi Fabian,

good point, but iSCSI is not preferred because i do not trust the network infrastructure and ReFS is not fully supported with iSCSI and this Synology NAS. Space is also not relevant because we go with forever forward inc.

thx
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2306 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Karsten

With Forever Forward Inc, the gateway server needs to read daily the size of a full backup and oldest incremental and then write back a full backup to the NFS/SMB share. Just make sure you have enough network throughput to transfer this data within your backup window.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
karsten123
Service Provider

Post by karsten123 »

Btw.: I go the SMB way with write through.
I am not confident with the NFS security settings and at the end of day it would be try and error. I am not comfortable with that.