Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Error: Application-aware processing is not supported with your product license

Post by BackupBytesTim »

Not sure if this should be posted here or in the relevant Windows Agent forum, in my opinion the problem is the Agent, but I've been told since I'm using VSPC to manage the Agent then the post should be here. So, feel free to move the thread if needed.

So I've had yet another job fail today with "Error: Application-aware processing is not supported with your product license". This happens for an Agent that is using a Workstation license. Which obviously doesn't support application aware processing. I am aware of this limitation. I am not looking for a workaround for this limitation. However I am looking for clarification here. If it's using an Workstation license, is this a normal error message to get? In my opinion since application aware processing doesn't even show up in the Job settings, it's not enabled. So it can't be disabled. So it's not a thing that should be causing a problem.

To fix it I have to switch it to a Server license, enabling application aware processing, and then disable application aware processing, and then switch it back to a Workstation license. Is that expected?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Error: Application-aware processing is not supported with your product license

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it's normal: application-aware processing functionality is designed for server-based applications like Microsoft SQL. And by not including this advanced functionality into a Workstation license, we're able to keep our support costs low and thus offer Workstations backup 3x cheaper than for Servers.

No, being able to work around this official licensing limitation is not an expected behavior.
konstantin.k
Veeam Software
Liked: 129 times
Full Name: Konstantin Komelin

Re: Error: Application-aware processing is not supported with your product license

Post by konstantin.k »

Hi Tim,

The issue is on the Agent side, so I'll move this thread to the Agent for Windows forum.

As I just checked by RnD, this error appearing for the Agent in workstation mode looks like a bug with the configuration, so please create a support ticket for this issue. If you still have one of such jobs in error state, it will be helpful if you attach a copy your database to the case and advise support to pass the ticket straight to RnD to be checked.

Thanks,
Konstantin
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

Thanks, I did fix this one using the above mentioned process, but the next time it happens I'll create a support case. They come up from time to time so it probably won't be too long.
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

Gostev wrote: Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm Yes, it's normal: application-aware processing functionality is designed for server-based applications like Microsoft SQL. And by not including this advanced functionality into a Workstation license, we're able to keep our support costs low and thus offer Workstations backup 3x cheaper than for Servers.

No, being able to work around this official licensing limitation is not an expected behavior.
As there seems to be confusion, to be clear I'm not trying to work around a limitation, I'm trying to just make regular non-application-aware backups work on the Workstation license. Which, despite being configured as such, wasn't happening until after performing the steps I mentioned.