Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Syosse
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Santo Mani

Which storage for 8Vms with Community Edition

Post by Syosse »

Hello :)

We've just set up our physical server with VMware ESXi 7 and vCenter, and now we're looking to use the following software as a backup solution: Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition.
However, I'm a bit uncertain about the storage aspect. Most of the storage options I've come across are priced at over $7000 and seem to be designed for enterprise systems with more than 20 drive bays.

The following VMs are in use:

1VM: Windows Server 2022 Domaincontroller 70GB
2VM: Windows Server 2022 Terminalserver 140GB
3VM: Windows Server 2022 Fileserver 250GB
4VM: Linux Mailserver 30GB
5VM: Windows Server 2022 for Veeam 80GB
6VM: Windows Server 2022 ERP Software 200GB
7VM: VCenter 160GB
8VM: Windows 10 Client 100GB

in total: 1030GB

I'm wondering which storage solution would be suitable for my needs. I require approximately 10TB of storage, which should be sufficient for 8 VMs. In total, these VMs occupy 1030GB, and I'd like to retain backups for 30 days, which should be adequate.

Thank you very much for the Help!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Which storage for 8Vms with Community Edition

Post by Mildur »

Hello Santo

I cannot say which storage is within your budget, but please see my recommendations from a technical standpoint:

The primary goal of a backup solution is to ensure the security of your data, especially when dealing with unexpected disasters.
Your setup should include at least one type of storage that can protect you from ransomware attacks. This storage needs to be highly secure, like it can't be tampered with easily.
And it's not sufficient to rely on just one backup. You should always maintain a second backup, preferably in a different location from your primary data storage.

Immutable backups:
- For primary backups or backup copies: Hardened repository (general-purpose server equipped with local disks).
- For backup copies: Obtain a VUL (Veeam Universal License) essential license and leverage immutable object storage for your backup copies. This license not only guarantees you technical support but also allow you to test your backups on recoverability.
- For backup copies: Explore the option of reaching out to a managed Veeam service provider. They provide rental licensing and often the opportunity to utilize a cloud connect repository in their environment, complete with Insider Protection enabled. This feature safeguards your backup files for a certain period, even in cases where they are deleted by an attacker.

Air-gapped backup storage for backup copies:
- Tape
- Using the cheap variant: Copy backups to rotated disk (external usb drive)

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software