Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
clayton.queiroga
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Clayton Queiroga

File to Tape selecting some immutable files

Post by clayton.queiroga »

I have a Veeam repository on a Linux server that stores multiple backups in the same directory, for example: /veeam/backup. I cannot even copy the files stored in this repository to another directory for a period of time because immutability for 14 days is enabled. I want to configure a "File to Tape" job from my VBR server that runs weekly, sending only the files from the last 7 days that are in the repository mentioned.

What is the most automated way to accomplish this task?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2306 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: File to Tape selecting some immutable files

Post by Mildur »

Hello Clayton

Our tape solution will always backup all files added to the source job of a File To Tape job.
You could use scripts to adjust the File To Tape job before each run. But honestly, that will compromise the entire hardened repository immutability. The script would need to have access to the hardened repositories filesystem to enumerate all files from the last 7 days and then add those objects to the File To Tape job. I don't recommend it.

The better option is to use daily Backup To Tape Jobs. Each day, the new restore point will be written to tape. The backup server will manage everything and you don't need to open remote management ports to the hardened repository.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software