Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
robnicholsonmalt
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Rob Nicholson

Does synthetic backup lock other jobs?

Post by robnicholsonmalt »

My development Veeam server is currently doing a weekly active weekly backup. During this time, another job which runs every hour to backup some key folders is blocked from running:

Is this be still blocked if I changed this into a synthetic backup? I know that the "synthetic backup" is carried out during the normal job (it's not a separate task/job) after the normal incremental backup. I'd like that hourly task to run. I'm a bit perplexed why a separate job is blocked? The active backup is running off a snapshot so why is the hourly task blocked?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Does synthetic backup lock other jobs?

Post by Mildur »

Hello Rob

A synthetic full backup wouldn't solve your use case.
Our Veeam Agent can only process one job at a time. The second job does wait till first job has finished it's session.

Can you run the active full once per month instead of a weekly interval? That could give you more weekends with weekly backups. Or as a workaround, use a NAS backup job to protect the important files over SMB (without VSS).

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
robnicholsonmalt
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Rob Nicholson

Re: Does synthetic backup lock other jobs?

Post by robnicholsonmalt »

Thanks Fabian, at least I know now. I do an active backup as it's faster than synthetic probably because active is reading from the server data drives and writing to the backup drive whereas synthetic is reading and writing from the same drive. As I said, it's just my development server where I experiment with things like this.