Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
vaxyz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Guidance on SQL Server Backup Options

Post by vaxyz »

Hi,

Currently, I have a virtual Windows Server 2019 running SQL Server 2017. The SQL database file is stored on a passthrough disk. However, I am in the process of migrating the virtual machine to a different physical Hyper-V host server. This migration involves converting the passthrough disk to a VHDX file and subsequently attaching it to the existing virtual machine.

As I delve into this migration process, I have noticed that Veeam offers several options for backing up SQL servers. However, I'm uncertain about which Veeam best practice backup method would be most suitable for my scenario and provide effective recovery options if needed.

What is the most commonly used backup method for backing up a virtual machine that has an attached VHDX disk using Veeam v12 B&R?

Here's the link I've found.
https://www.veeam.com/wp-sql-server-bac ... veeam.html
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Guidance on SQL Server Backup Options

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The agent-based backup method might be a good way to bypass the limitation with pass-through disks. One of the main advantages of this approach is that it enables all the restore options available in Veeam Explorer for SQL including Instant Database Recovery.

If you want to let your DBAs take care of database backups, you may consider our plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server. It is highly scalable, recommended for a large amount of databases on the same server, and provides solid performance.

Also, this page from our best practices is worth seeing.

Thanks!
vaxyz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by vaxyz »

Thanks for the reply.

As I stated from my previous post, I will be converting my passthrough disk into a VHDX disk. That VHDX disk will be attached to the Virtual Machine.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

After the conversion is finish, should I configure the Veeam B&R to back up the entire Virtual Machine and subsequently it will automatically backup the VHDX disk. Should I just enable Application-Aware Processing and be done with it?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

All the VM disks are included in processing by default unless you explicitly make exclusions in the job settings. It's perfectly fine to enable AAIP and configure transaction log backups if you don't need to leverage the SQL plug-in.

Also, you shared the link to the agent management guide but please keep in mind that you can back up your SQL server as a Hyper-V virtual machine, please have a look at this page.

Thanks!