Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Conrad Goodman

v11a Offloading from Capacity Tier to Archive Tier while avoiding transfer costs

Post by ConradGoodman »

I have been reading this article: https://community.veeam.com/blogs-and-p ... n-v11-2753, as I couldn't find any documentation on the data flow from Capacity Tier to Archive Tier (S3 -> Glacier Deep Archive).

We have on prem VBR 11a, and I want to add the Archive Tier with Glacier Deep Dive. Our Capacity tier is in S3 already.

Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid data transfer costs when the Veeam Proxy Helper in EC2 moves the data from S3 -> Glacier?

At the very bottom of the article it mentions:
Side Note: To avoid data transfer fees, use endpoints to keep the proxy appliance traffic internal (maybe we’ll cover this in a future post)
I can't find any other posts where this setup is explained. Perhaps it is the basics of AWS VPC configuration, I will start to research that now, but if anyone has an off-the-shelf guide I'd appreciate it.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: v11a Offloading from Capacity Tier to Archive Tier while avoiding transfer costs

Post by Mildur »

Hello Conrad

I pinged the author of that blog post to get additional information. I assume it is done with the help of S3 VPC endpoints. When I have news, I will update this topic.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software