Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
inferno66
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Julien

Proper way to migrate SOBR performance Tier from local disk to Object Storage

Post by inferno66 »

Hello

Our current SOBR configuration is :
- performance Tier : local disk
- capacity tier : S3
- Archive Tier : S3 Glacier

With Veeam V12 we would like to switch to the configuration recommanded on this topic : post486189.html#p486189
- Performance Tier : S3
- Capacity Tier : none
- Archive Tier : S3 Glacier

What's a proper way to move my job on this configuration?
I've already tried to edit the SOBR and add a S3 storage object on the performance tier but it's not possible : "Unable to add object storage repository to a scale-out repository with block or file storage based performance extents"

Regards
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Proper way to migrate SOBR performance Tier from local disk to Object Storage

Post by Mildur »

Hi Julien

Mixing block/object storage extends is not possible. A new SOBR is required for this type of migration.

You must use our "backup move" feature to move backups from the original SOBR to a new SOBR.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
inferno66
Enthusiast

Re: Proper way to migrate SOBR performance Tier from local disk to Object Storage

Post by inferno66 »

Hello

Thanks for your quick answer

I've read the article but not sure to understand everything.
So in my case Im concerned by this part :

Code: Select all

Scale-Out Backup Repositories
If you move workloads and their backups from a scale-out backup repository, the following applies:
Veeam Backup & Replication moves backups only from the performance tier. If you want to move data from the capacity tier, you first need to download it to the performance tier. For more information, see Downloading Data from Capacity Tier.
Backups stored in the capacity and archive tiers are moved to the node with the (Orphaned) postfix. The backups are retained according to the retention settings of the job from which the backups were moved. If the retention period is set in days, the Veeam Backup & Replication retains the backups according to the configured retention and deletes the backups from the repository after the retention period ends. If the retention period is set in restore points, Veeam Backup & Replication leaves backup files in a backup chain. The minimum number of backup files left equals the current retention period. You can delete these backup files manually as described in section Deleting Backups from Disk.
Veeam Backup & Replication does not move backups from extents in the Maintenance mode. These backups are deleted once the extents exit the Maintenance mode.
I'm my case I don't have the hability to download all backup from capacity tier to performance tier (usually you use capacity tier to extend your local capacity)
On capaciy tier I keep 5 weeks for backup

Also I don't understand because at first it says "Veeam Backup & Replication moves backups only from the performance tier."
But after it says "Backups stored in the capacity and archive tiers are moved to the node with the (Orphaned) postfix"

What the "orphaned" node?
Also on Archive Tier we keep Montly backup for 10 years with immutability. Theses backup will stay for the remaining retention on the original storage?

Regards
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello Julien

Yes, we can only move backups from performance tier to performance tier. If you like to move capacity tiers data, you need to download it first. But with only 5 weeks on capacity tier, you could just wait 5 weeks after the migration and then delete the old capacity tier bucket. No need to download and migrate it.

Performance Tier: Can be moved to the new SOBR
Capacity Tier: Must be downloaded or it will be moved to orphaned on the old capacity tier extend.
Archive Tier: May be connected to the new SOBR after the performance tier migration. But I'm not 100% sure if the Backup chains on Archive tier can be continued or if there will be a new backup chain offload to S3 Glacier. I will need to check on this if you decide on using this migration method.
What the "orphaned" node?
Backups without a backup job attached will be shown in orphaned. This can happen when you delete a job or in this scenario where you move backup files from one SOBR to another repository/SOBR.

Also on Archive Tier we keep Montly backup for 10 years with immutability. Theses backup will stay for the remaining retention on the original storage?
Those backups will stay on the archive tier. Without a job attached, those restore points are not deleted by the backup server.

Best,
Fabian
inferno66
Enthusiast

Post by inferno66 »

Hello

Thanks for your answer

So the "Ophaned" node will be the Original SOBR nodes.

In our case we have :
1 week on performance tier
5 weeks on capacity tier
10 years on archive tier

So if only data from performance tier can be copied, in our case, as we only have one week on performance tier, I don't think it's relevant to copy to the new SOBR

Also I when creating the new SOBR, can I just use another folder on my actual S3 buckets rather than creating new buckets?

Ta
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Our recommendation is to rather use a new bucket per SOBR instead of a different folder.
It would also allow you to just delete the old capacity tier bucket after the 5 weeks.

Best,
Fabian
inferno66
Enthusiast

Post by inferno66 »

Hello

I've a new question.

Backup from differents node will be showed as "orphaned".

When restoring a backup from archive tier (S3 Deep Archve), it's restored on S3 standard capacity tier
If I don't have the SOBR, where it'll be restored? Or maybe it's just a tag on AWS, the backup files doesn't move physically on AWS S3?

Regards