SAFA_IT
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: David Thomson

Gmail Modern authentication issue

Post by SAFA_IT »

Case #06323769
Case #06328738

I upgraded from V11 to 12.0.0.1420 P20230718 and email notifications using a Google Workspace account worked fine for a while until Veeam One reported: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.

I go to General > E-mail settings and click 'Sign in with Google'. After accepting 'send email on your behalf' the browser (Edge) accesses the loopback address http://127.0.0.1:51391/authorize/?code= and the result is 'Hmmm. can't reach this page'.

However, at this point the token is valid and a test email can be sent. Once 'Ok' is pressed, the E-mail settings tab shows 'Authorization required again and the test email is not sent. Changing default browser and different email accounts makes no difference.

I then went to Veeam One on the same server, changed the settings there to the credentials that didn't work on VBR and it works fine first time.

I read that Google deprecated the use of the loopback address for OAuth last year - could this be the issue here?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Gmail Modern authentication issue

Post by Mildur »

Hello David

There is a known issue with mail servers where the certificate changes a lot. We see it especially with Exchange Online and Gmail. My current knowledge is, that it will be solved in our upcoming minor release of Veeam & Replication. Till then, our customer support shares our workaround (case 06323769).

But it seems there is also the second issue with OAuth. I believe the best way forward is to keep working with our support engineer. The case will be escalated to QA if necessary. And I will monitor the case from our side.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
SAFA_IT
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: David Thomson

Re: Gmail Modern authentication issue

Post by SAFA_IT »

Thanks Fabian.
In our case this wasn't the solution. I will await the release of the new version of Veeam to see if that resolves the issue.