Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Kazz
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Kazz Beck

instant restores

Post by Kazz »

Hi,

Our DR data center is scheduled to be shutdown in the next 3 months. We replicate all of our business critical VMs to a DR site and do a backup copy job for any VMs we can operate without for a few days. Occasionally we test restore some of the VMs at the DR site and heavily rely on the instant restores. With the DR going away, we are looking to explore backups to Object Storage / Blob Storage. (Wasabi / Azure). We are not gonna be using SOBR, but would like to continue using backup copy jobs. We have many VMs that are over 2TB in size. We are on VBR 12.

Would we be able to use instant restore functionality from backups in object / blob storage?
Would instant restore of a 2TB VM still be instant?
Would there be a need / benefit if we have a proxy VM running in Azure for blob storage ?

Thanks
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: instant restores

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi,
Would we be able to use instant restore functionality from backups in object / blob storage?
Yes.
Would instant restore of a 2TB VM still be instant?
It would depend on some factors. Are you restoring to vSphere, Hv or? Which stage of instant restore do you mean - publish or migration? We need to take into account connection metrics with azure, target datastore performance (for migration) etc.
Would there be a need / benefit if we have a proxy VM running in Azure for blob storage ?
This kind of proxy is for a health check and is not involved in instant recoveries.

Best regards,
Oleg
Kazz
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Kazz Beck

Post by Kazz »

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for responding. Yeah, If I wanted to restore a 2TB VM from Azure Blob to vSphere on prem, would I be waiting for instant restore job to download / cache anything locally before I could power up my restored VM on prem?

I have 5Gbps express route and 10Gbps internet pipe.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Kazz,

Yes, we'd have to download objects that comprise your restore point to be able to present them as vm files because there is no file system on object storage. To see where they will be downloaded and cached, check mount server settings on your azure storage. However, keep in mind that the published data will be presented as compressed and deduplicated. So, the downloaded data should be closer to backup size of your VM.

Best regards,
Oleg