Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dimaslan
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dimitris Aslanidis

Two jobs backing up different disks for same VM

Post by dimaslan »

I tried looking for this but did not find anything.
Basically, I am trying to backup a VM that is about 2.3 TB.
I do not yet have deployed a physical server for backups so I've spun up a VM and installed Veeam.
I am going to use production storage for now, however they have separated datastores to smaller chunks and I do not have one which could fit the whole VM.
What I can do is give my Veeam VM two disks of just 1 TB. I thought about creating two jobs for the same VM, one to backup disks 0:0 and 0:2 which would fit on one repo and another job to backup just the 0:1 disk which would fit on the other.
My question is, does anyone see any issues with that? This will have to run for 1-2 days but I don't want to leave the customer without backups for even24 hours.
jamcool
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Mount

Re: Two jobs backing up different disks for same VM

Post by jamcool »

Technically no issue so long as backups do not cross (do not cross the streams :). I would look into one of the advanced options where a job will not run if another backup job is running.

A suggestion. Without knowing your system, if you having nothing else on the repositories, consider taking both disk and combine into a stripped or spanned volume (I am Windows person so not sure what Linux calls it) which gives you capacity of both disk. Stripped cannot be expanded but is faster were spanned you can add storage to it but is slower. Then you can do one job for the entire VM.

I saw the 1-2 days to run for backup. That seems really long. Are you backing up on a network connection of less than 1 Gbps or is there something else that maybe bottlenecking in proxy server? Under normal conditions, a day maybe for the initial full backup but after that if doing incremental type backup, it should at most a few hours for few 100 GB. You try changing the proxy transport from NBD to Virtual Appliance for this job (or jobs). It is faster. If you normally use NBD on proxy servers, you may have to isolate a single proxy for this job (or two jobs). BTW, we use NBD on all our proxy servers normally. We found for backing up 100s of VMs, NBD is faster with those small incremental backups vs Virtual appliance. Something about the hot add of VMDK and removing taking a longer time than the actual backups.