Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Fegume
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

can I backup VMs in Azure and restore them in my Vmware On-Premise environment?

Post by Fegume »

Hello, I know that you can restore a machine backed up in Veeam to Azure, but my question is the opposite, can I backup VMs in Azure and restore them in my Vmware On-Premise environment?

thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: can I backup VMs in Azure and restore them in my Vmware On-Premise environment?

Post by Gostev »

Fegume
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Re: can I backup VMs in Azure and restore them in my Vmware On-Premise environment?

Post by Fegume »

Ok Gostev, then I can do it, but not in the same product Veeam Backup & Replication. I need install new product Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure. Is it correct?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, currently you need to install Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure appliance and configure backup policies there. Good news is that starting from v11 (that is just around the corner) you will be able to add such appliance to backup server and manage backup policies from it (similar to what we've done already for Veeam Backup for AWS). Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Fegume wrote: Feb 04, 2021 9:02 amOk Gostev, then I can do it, but not in the same product Veeam Backup & Replication.
The link is for Veeam Backup & Replication feature specifically (Instant Recovery ANY to vSphere).
Fegume wrote: Feb 04, 2021 9:02 amI need install new product Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure. Is it correct?
Not necessarily. You can always use an agent-based backups with Veeam Backup & Replication instead, if you're more comfortable doing that. Many of our customers have been doing this before Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure even existed. In fact, our largest Agent for Windows customer is backing up their Azure VMs with those agents.
phiaramos
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Phia Ramos

Post by phiaramos »

Hello, can I backup Azure VM using standalone Veeam agent only without the VBR? then the target backup storage is SMB
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yes, you can install a standalone agent on Azure Virtual Machine and back it up that way. Thanks!