Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
alex79
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: alex79

problem export tape to vault

Post by alex79 »

Hi,
I'm currently using a VBR V12 and implementing a second copy to tape.
Currently VM backups are full synthetic on the weekend and incremental during the week.
My need is to run the second copy on tape every day (and this works), but at the end of this copy I would have to take out the written tapes to prune them in the safe. Job and tape retention is the same, 4 weeks.
At the beginning I thought it could be done by placing them in a veeam vault but from what I understand this is useful for archiving, for example backup on disk has a retention of 4 weeks and that on tape has a retention of 1 year.
The only way that came to mind is that every day at the end of writing I have to make an "export tape" by hand of the written tapes, but do you know if there is an automatic way?

Regards
xzvf
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Re: problem export tape to vault

Post by xzvf »

Hello alex79,

Automatic export is possible at the end of the tape job, click through the advanced options of the job.

Vaults are purely a logical set of tapes for some extra tracking.
There could be weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly, etc. vaults, it helps to categorize the your media. (these are the default in a GFS media pool)
They can be exported, imported, in your tape library, regardless of their vault type.
You can mark tapes as free manually, or after all the job's retention time are expired on them, the same media set will use them again, if it is enabled.

Hope this helps.

Best,
B