Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BoKTC
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ash Griffin

CDP Replicas - Maintenance Mode/vMotion

Post by BoKTC »

Hi All,

Not an issue, more of a question. Can anyone confirm the expected behaviour of CDP replicas when using Maintenance Mode in conjunction with CDP at the recovery site?

We have two hosts in cluster at our CDP recovery site. I was performing host patching last evening, which of course necessitates using Maintenance Mode in vSphere, triggering a move of all VMs - including the CDP replicas - to be moved between hosts whilst each host is being updated/rebooted etc.

As a precaution, I disabled our CDP policies prior to carrying out the maintenance, re-enabling them once maintenance was completed.

Prior to the work, the CDP replicas were evenly distributed between hosts A and B. Maintenance was carried out on host A first, then host B. As a result, all CDP replica VMs are now currently residing on host A. There is no ability within vSphere to migrate these replica VMs back to host B to restore the balance across the hosts.

The CDP policies are pointed at the cluster rather than specific hosts. All policies have re-enabled successfully and appear to be maintaining restore points as normal, it's just that all of the replicas are now resident on a single host.

Will Veeam automatically redistribute the replicas itself at some point? Should we need to carry out a site failover, will DRS be able to balance the active replicas so that they are split across both hosts in the cluster?

Thanks in advance.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: CDP Replicas - Maintenance Mode/vMotion

Post by veremin »

will DRS be able to balance the active replicas so that they are split across both hosts in the cluster?
It will, as long as the automation level is set to fully automated and TryBalanceVmsPerHost is configured in the cluster settings (vSphere UI).
There is no ability within vSphere to migrate these replica VMs back to host B to restore the balance across the hosts.
It sounds like a bug that we have recently addressed and prepared the hotfix for it. You might want to reach our support team in order to get it.

If you let me know the case number (once it's opened), I will make sure the fix you are provided with the hotfix.

Thanks!