Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
apolloxm
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

do we need to do the Upgrading Backup Chain Formats

Post by apolloxm »

in the V11, we have enabled the Per-machine in the repository. so, the backup file was created with single metadata file. as I know, V12 will support Per-Machine with Separate Metadata Files. that means we will do the upgrade? My questions:
Do we need to do the upgrade for this? If not, what is the impact and what is the Veeam suggestion? If yes, how to make sure there is no interruption during the upgrade and how to upgrade?We are currently using the backup and backup copy jobs in our environment. the backup jobs just Periodic Copy Mode.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: do we need to do the Upgrading Backup Chain Formats

Post by Mildur »

Hello Apollo

We don't force the upgrade. In some future version there may be a check where you can only update if you use the new backup chain format.

If you want to use the new features around the new backup format (moving/copying backups with FastClone), you should update. The upgrade will synthentesize new full backup for each machine after mapping the new job to the existing backup files.
Please also see our other topic and Dimas summary:
post476468.html#p476468
If yes, how to make sure there is no interruption during the upgrade and how to upgrade?
No source backup jobs or copy jobs will be able to run during the upgrade of a copy job.
If not, what is the impact and what is the Veeam suggestion?
There are two options which are not possible with the new v12 backup copy jobs:
- backup copy "from infrastructure"
- backup copy from backup copy

If you need "backup copy from backup copy", I suggest you wait with the upgrade of the legacy backup copy job till we bring "backup copy from backup copy" back.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software