Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gigabyte2
Novice
Liked: never

RDX BCJ fine tuning

Post by Gigabyte2 »

Hi,
there is a daily backup job to a NAS and I want to run a backup copy job from the NAS backup to a RDX disk every saturday.
I have three RDXs and I want to swap every weeek, so week 1 backup copy is running on rdx1, week2 to rdx2, week3 to rdx3, week4 to rdx1..
I configure a backup repo (all RDXs have the same drive letter) with rotated drive option and a singole backup copy job with 2 restore points.
Job is not running well, sometimes it is skipped or takes a long time to complete.
Any suggestions or advice?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: RDX BCJ fine tuning

Post by Mildur »

Hello Gigabyte2

Data flow from your copy job will look like this:
NAS > Gateway Server > Server with the connected RDX disks > RDX Disk.
Make sure you have a reliable connection between those components. And enough bandwidth to transfer the daily amount of data.
Job is not running well, sometimes it is skipped or takes a long time to complete.
Any suggestions or advice?
Feel free to open a case with our customer support team for further analyses. Logs will help to determine where you have a bottleneck in your copy job sessions. It would be more efficient than asking for help in our forum (we are not a support forum and cannot provide help for environmental issues).

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Gigabyte2
Novice

Post by Gigabyte2 »

Yes, the flow is correct and the network performance is fine.
I've never configured the regkey "ForceDeleteBackupFiles" should I set it to 3?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

That key shouldn't be required anymore. We have that setting in our UI (in v12):
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

If you delete all backup files before the job runs, it will need to copy an entire full backup. Depending on the size of your backup jobs, it may take even longer.
I strongly suggest to contact our customer support to get the right guidance to solve this situation.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Gigabyte2
Novice

Post by Gigabyte2 »

Oh right, so it's better to set "Continue an existing backup chain if present" or "Delete backups..." in the repository option?
I set 2 restore points in the backup copy job settings, but I need only a single full backup for each RDX, so I don't know what is the best practise!