Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ancan
Lurker
Liked: never

Bare Metal Restore: Can't see any backups. What am I missing?

Post by ancan »

Hi all,
I've been trying to test Bare Metal Recovery of PC's, and am testing it on a Windows VM to see that everyting works. But it doesn't and it must be something I don't understand.

The backup job runs on B&R Server, and saves to a repository which is a NAS in the end.
Backups run fine without errors, but when I try a Bare Metal Restore I can't make the recovery media see any backups.

I saw a Youtube video where the guy mentions that you can't use "full computer" on the backup job so I changed that to volume backup and excluded "A:\" since you *need* to exclude something for whatever reason. It didn't make any difference, and it seems odd anyway that you can't backup the entire computer.

My restore process is:
- Boot on the recovery media created on the PC that is backed up.
- Select "Veeam Backup Repository" as backup location.
- Enter our backup server name and credentials.
- It's connecting to the backup server... and I'm presented an empty list of backups

That's how far I get.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Bare Metal Restore: Can't see any backups. What am I missing?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Which version are you using? If you use VBR V12 / VAW 6 then it should work. If it does not, please check with support and post the case number for reference.

For older version the metadata information is incompatible between "backups in a VBR repository" vs. "plain disk". So you have to restore from a Backup & Replication repository.

Best regards,
Hannes