Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
soda39
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup Job Conditions

Post by soda39 »

Hi community,

I did not find any suitable answer for my question, if so please refer to it. Thanks in advance!

Topic:
Is there any possibility to add a condition to a backup job? Like job X is backing up files from share, but I don't want to start the job, if the share does not contain any files and maintain the last result, or even change the result to successful - whatever is possible. I tried this with a pre-script, but Stop-VBRJob changes the Last Result to "failed". When using "-gracefully", it times out and the state also goes to "failed".

Thanks in advance.

BR Daniel
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup Job Conditions

Post by Mildur »

Hi Daniel

To check if there are new, changed or deleted files on the share, we first have to start the job. We don't monitor a file share outside of a job.
May I ask the use case behind only knowing the last status when files were protected? Instead of knowing that there wasn't any new files protected by the regular job run?

A workaround:
You may use scripts outside of Veeam. Check the content of the file share, if it has changed, start a VBR job. But I don't expect it to be fast, if you have thousands of files.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
soda39
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Backup Job Conditions

Post by soda39 »

Hi Fabian,

Not a real monitoring, but a pre-check or something like that.
We have two cases, VMs and shares, but the more important one is about VMs. We are archiving, in an end-of-life scenario, VMs from our vCenter, via a tag. A daily running job that backups those machines and triggers a tape/archiving job of those. So our colleagues only need to assign this specific Tag and the VMs will be archived.
As long as there are no VMs to process, the job will end with a warning. With share backup/archiving jobs, when no files are in the share, the job will start, backup nothing, and ends with successful, which would be okay. I was just curious if you can implement pre-checks. But for the described VM job, it would be nice to somehow let the job end with a successful state, to have clean reports etc.

BR Daniel