Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
rjordan63
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Randy jordan

Copying local backups offsite to iDrive storage bucket

Post by rjordan63 »

I am wanting to find out the best way to copy my current backups that are going to a drive share to iDrive storage bucket.
I try to follow their tutorial and it is really good but it is not for my scenario that has a current backup in place. It seems to me it is creating a whole new backup and I just need to know how to get my current backups to iDrive e3 bucket.

We are running Veeam Backup And Replication 11.

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Copying local backups offsite to iDrive storage bucket

Post by Mildur »

Hello Randy

I don't know the service they are offering or their tutorial.
How is it configured on your Veeam backup server? As direct object storage repository or as object storage in the capacity tier?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
rjordan63
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Randy jordan

Post by rjordan63 »

Thanks for responding Fabian.

The tutorial is https://www.idrive.com/object-storage-e2/videos
Right now there is a backup repository that puts 14 backups on a NAS/server but no offsite copies are being made and I am tryng to get have the backups go to iDrive bucket that I created. I have it setup mostly but get a little nervous when I get message stating "All jobs and backups using this extent will be automatically updated to pint to the SOBR. Continue Yes or No"
And if I say yes I get another message that "Agent permissions and backup encryption settings currently present on the added extents will be lost. Proceed Yes or No" and I cancel at that time because I am unsure of what is going to happen to the existing backup.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thank you.
I was looking for iDrive e3, but could only find iDrive e2. Your link confirmed their service is called iDrive e2.
All jobs and backups using this extent will be automatically updated to pint to the SOBR. Continue Yes or No"
This message is shown when you add a backup repository with existing jobs to a new SOBR. When you do that, we reconfigure all jobs to use the new SOBR. It won't affect your backup chains. They will be continued on the SOBR with incremental.

Backup will first be written to your NAS repository. From there an offload session will copy/move (depends on the offload policy in the capacity tier step) those backups to the iDrive E2 bucket.
Agent permissions and backup encryption settings currently present on the added extents will be lost.
Do you have standalone agents which sends backups to the NAS repository? This message tells you, that the current permission and encryption settings on the NAS repository will be lost. They need to be reconfigured after you have created your SOBR.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software