Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Argon
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Go from non-immutable --> Immutable Capacity and Archive tier

Post by Argon »

Hello,

We created several SOBR's in Veeam V11 which were non-immutable at that moment. Now we want to benefit from the Immutable option in Azure.
We currently keep the last 30 days on Capacity tier and we create a yearly in January on Archive tier. So some of our Archives Tier contains 2 yearlies.

I've created a new Storage Account on Azure (with Immutability enabled) and I've added them as a "Backup Repository" in Veeam.
When I edit the existing SOBR, go to the "Archive Tier" and change it from the non-immutable to the immutable repository I get the following message:

Does this mean that I will lose the last 2 yearlies that we have on the non-immutable repo? I can't afford to lose those since we still need them for a possible restore in the (near) future.

So is there a way/method to keep the current Archived data in Veeam, but offload the new backups into the new Immutable Repo?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Go from non-immutable --> Immutable Capacity and Archive tier

Post by veremin »

No, the backups will be removed from the configuration database only - they will be still present on the archive repository.

To populate this data in the backup console (for further restores), you will need to import these backups first.

Thanks!
inferno66
Enthusiast
Full Name: Julien

[MERGED] SOBR Removal but keep backup from Archive Tier

Post by inferno66 »

Hello

We used to backup to SOBR :
- Performance tier ==> Local disk
- Capacity Tier ==> S3
- Archive Tier ==> S3 Glacier

Now with V12 we migrated or backup jobs to new SOBR :
- Performance Tier ==> S3
- NO CAPACITY TIER
- Archive Tier ==> S3 Glacier

New SOBR are pointing to new S3 Buckets

With the retention, now old backups are only on archive tier (nothing left in performance and capacity tier), that are showed as "Orphaned"

We want to get rid of old Capacity Tier S3 and Old Performance Tier (Local Disk), but how to achieve that (especially for the local disk part) ?

Just disconnect local disk from the server?

Regards
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can remove the old archive repository from the previous Scale-Out Backup Repository. The restore points will be removed from the configuration database. To populate backups you will need to import them from the old archive repository (as described above). That's it.

Thanks!
inferno66
Enthusiast
Full Name: Julien

Post by inferno66 »

Hello

Thanks for your answer

If I remove the SOBR but without removing the "Amazon Glacier" Backup Repo (from the Backup Repositories list).
Archived backup will still be available?
Or do I need to also remove from Backup Repositories and add it again in order to rescan?

Regards
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You need to remove it from the SOBR configuration only. After that, you will need to import backups from it to make them visible and restorable in the backup console. Thanks!