Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mike.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Michael anderson

Veeam SOBR Limitation and Consideration Documentation

Post by mike.anderson » 1 person likes this post

Hi All,

Haven't been on the forums for a while, but thought I'd start here rather than support.

I was trying to confirm some limitations on SOBR capacity tier when I noticed the documentation could use some tweaks.

I was reviewing this page of the limitations and considerations of a SOBR: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

I suspect out of this cluster of 3 bullets, the bottom 2 should be sub points? At least the bottom one, as you can have more than 4 performance extents in an Enterprise Plus deployment.
  • If you use Enterprise edition of Veeam Backup & Replication, you can create two scale-out backup repositories.
  • For each scale-out backup repository, you can have either backup repositories or object storage repositories added as a performance extent or a capacity extent. You can have 2 active, and 1 inactive (that is, put to the Maintenance mode) performance or capacity extents. You can add inactive extents, for example, if any of active extents has no free space, and you want to evacuate backup data from it.
  • If you add four performance extents and do not put any of them to the Maintenance mode, the jobs targeted at the scale-out backup repository will fail.
Also, (and the real reason for this post) I could not find the limitation regarding transaction log offload. I had to go to the Guest Processing page to find it.
Guest Processing Page: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Transaction log backups cannot be copied to capacity tier.
I would imagine this would be an important limitation and consideration to have on the SOBR page. It's also not on the capacity tier page: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

I would like to humbly ask that this point be added as it would be a lot easier to point it out to customers, and staff new to Veeam if it were present at least on the Capacity Tier page, if not the SOBR page.

Thank you!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam SOBR Limitation and Consideration Documentation

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mike

Thanks for your suggestions. Good feedback.
Did you have used the feedback button at the bottom of the helpcenter page? This will allow you to send this feedback to the correct team (Technical Writers team).

If not, let me know and I will send this feedback to our tech writers.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mike.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Michael anderson

Re: Veeam SOBR Limitation and Consideration Documentation

Post by mike.anderson »

Never noticed that before! I have made the email to them now. Thanks.