Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gab007
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: GAEL MEALLIER

Delete old and broken hardened repository

Post by gab007 »

Hello,

We had a hardened linux server that has been unavailable for some time. Unfortunately, when I try to remove it from the Veeam console, I'm asked for the SSH credential and it doesn't work because it's no longer available.
Is there a way to delete it?

Thanks in advance,

For your information, this is a Veeam V12.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Delete old and broken hardened repository

Post by Gostev »

Hello, yes. You can contact support and they will be able to remove any obsolete entity by editing the configuration database directly. Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Gael

In Veeam Backup & Replication v12 on the latest patch (12.0.0.1420 P20230718), it should be possible to remove it even if the repository server is not available anymore. Just provide some credentials (don't have to be correct).
After some time, the console will bring an error message and ask you if you want to remove it.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Post by DonZoomik »

This does not seem to work even after patching, console never times out. And I left the console running overnight.
The server was physically removed but I forgot to delete managed server object from Veeam. Judging by the screenshot, server/console expects a logon failure (or at least some reply) before showing this dialog.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello Mihkel

I checked in my lab.
The notification box I posted earlier was shown to me because a new server had the IP of the former hardened repository and responded on SSH.

I run a new test with the hardened repository shutdown. I didn't used the IP for another server.
Then I got the correct message for this situation (duplicated text, will be fixed in a future update):

Please open a support case if the removal doesn't work.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 322 times

Post by david.domask »

DonZoomik wrote: Aug 31, 2023 5:06 pm This does not seem to work even after patching, console never times out. And I left the console running overnight.
The server was physically removed but I forgot to delete managed server object from Veeam. Judging by the screenshot, server/console expects a logon failure (or at least some reply) before showing this dialog.
Hey @DonZoomik,

Please try the following from Veeam Powershell:

1. Open the Veeam Powershell console as a user with Backup Administrator privileges in Veeam. Go to the Menu > Console > Powershell
2. Once it loads, try the following:

$Repo = Get-VBRBackupRepository -name "name of the repo to remove"
Remove-VBRBackupRepository -Repository $Repo

It should workaround the issue.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Post by DonZoomik »

I was away for a few days but gave it a try today.
I had to remove managed server (not repository) but the removal worked from PowerShell without any questions. I had assumed that CLI had the same checks...
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 322 times

Post by david.domask »

@DonZoomik, glad to hear it worked. I expected the same also, but as the behavior is unexpected, I guess this was just another part of its surprise ;)

This will be fine though, and in future versions, the issue should be resolved in full and the UI will just warn it can't reach the server to uninstall components and ask if you want to proceed anyways.

Edit: Forgot that this was ultimately resolved in CP3; in some cases it would get stuck for specific servers and one time you need to use the workarounds, but it should not appear again if you're on CP3 or higher
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
bulletlynn
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Nick Lynn

Post by bulletlynn » 1 person likes this post

The above powershell command just removes the repo. If you want to remove the actual server as a Managed Server in Veeam the below script worked.

$Server = Get-VBRServer -name "name of the server"
Remove-VBRServer -server $Server