Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 62 times

Move tapes to other 'Media Pools' still removes catalog ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hello everybody,

I noticed a new message in Veeam B&R 12.x when moving tapes from one Media Pool to another ...

https://i.postimg.cc/Fz8d5RjD/VBR-Move-Tapes.jpg

Since Veeam B&R 8.x I miss the possibility to move tapes without losing the catalog. Why not offer to keep the catalog when moving tape media? We automatically feed MonthlyFull and DailyIncremental B2T-jobs with media from specific Media Pools but we also manually move tape media, e.g. the MonthlyFull tape media to another pool to keep it from being overwritten accidentially, allthough rentention is to never overwrite media of the MonthlyFull Media Pool.

Also, it would finally be nice, when expired tape media, no matter in which Media Pool located, will be automatically marked as a Free Tape and moved to the 'Free' Media Pool.

All that has been requested as a feature since a very long time but to my knowledge both is not incorporated into Veeam B&R 12.x so far.

Thanks.
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Move tapes to other 'Media Pools' still removes catalog ...

Post by Mildur »

Hello Didi7

Thanks for the request. There are no plans for our upcoming release to change this behavior.
Also, it would finally be nice, when expired tape media, no matter in which Media Pool located, will be automatically marked as a Free Tape and moved to the 'Free' Media Pool.
This could be scripted today with Windows task scheduler and Veeam PowerShell cmdlets.
We automatically feed MonthlyFull and DailyIncremental B2T-jobs with media from specific Media Pools but we also manually move tape media, e.g. the MonthlyFull tape media to another pool to keep it from being overwritten accidentially, allthough rentention is to never overwrite media of the MonthlyFull Media Pool.
May I ask, why you don't take the tape out of the library/drive to protect accidental deletion or overwriting? An attacker will be able to delete the content even if the tape is in another media pool.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 62 times

Post by Didi7 »

Quote Fabian:
This could be scripted today with Windows task scheduler and Veeam PowerShell cmdlets.

I know but that's not very handy. What's the show-stopper to incorporate this into the GUI?

Quote Fabian:
May I ask, why you don't take the tape out of the library/drive to protect accidental deletion or overwriting? An attacker will be able to delete the content even if the tape is in another media pool.

Yes, indeed. We keep the last month online within the library and after another month we replace it with a Free Media but we would like to seperate those media in different Media Pools. We have several manual Media Pools, which keep DailyIncrementals from the last month, MonthlyFulls from the last month and YearlyFulls from the last year, so we can find stuff much faster instead of browsing barcodes and we keep this barcode info in an additional text-file as well.

As soon, as we would like to restore something, we need to do a catalog session first, because the catalog contents is lost inside the Veeam Online catalog, as those tapes were moved. It should be no big deal to ask, whether the catalog should be kept or deleted when tape media is moved. Your competitors do not delete catalogues when tape media is moved between different Media Pools, that's why I asked this question already 9 years ago!
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Didi7
I checked again. This functionality made it's way to V12 as a registry key:
veeam_backup_12_0_whats_new_wn.pdf - Page 29
Return expired tapes to free media pools — Create the TapeMarkExpiredMediaFree (DWORD, 1)
value to immediately return any expired tapes into the Free media pool. With this mode, tapes
will no longer be constantly assigned to the same media pool after it expires, which makes tape
management less predictable. However, this also allows you to maximize tape capacity usage
across all media pools
We have several manual Media Pools, which keep DailyIncrementals from the last month, MonthlyFulls from the last month and YearlyFulls from the last year, so we can find stuff much faster instead of browsing barcodes and we keep this barcode info in an additional text-file as well.
Do you have checked out the vaults? Vaults will bring you the functionality you are looking for, without moving a tape to another media pool:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software