Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: check4backup

Backup-Repository for M365 and write Repository to Tape

Post by check4backup »

Hello,

Here's what's not clear to me.

==>
VM with VBR and Backup for M365. The backup repository should not be on this VM.

==>
Physical Server with attached SAN. This physical server is to provide the backup repository for Backup for M365 and also already provides the repository for VBR.

1)
Can I now simply install a backup proxy for M365 on the server with the SAN and use this as a repository for M365?

2)
If the files are then on the SAN, it should be possible to write them with Veeam also on a tape, that then with VBR.

Am I right here?

Thanks a lot
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup-Repository for M365 and write Repository to Tape

Post by Mildur »

Hello check4backup

1) Not recommended. But you can do it. Just be aware of the possible performance issues you will face. The VB365 proxy service will take almost all available memory to run it's databases. Tasks for the VBR server may have performance issues if no memory is available for them. If you face issues and open a support case, our customer support team may ask you to deploy a new proxy server with it's own storage.

2) Yes, if you stop the VB365 services first.

Please note, our recommended storage type for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 is object storage. Jet database based repositories have to many limitations and disadvantages compared to object storage. You will also see new repository features only with object storages.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
check4backup
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: check4backup

Post by check4backup »

Hello,
>> Please note, our recommended storage type for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 is object storage.<<
Does this mean that the recommended storage is not local but in the cloud? I cannot have object storage locally.

Thanks a lot
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

You can use any cloud object storage, or an on-premises S3 Compatible object storage system (like Minio, for example). The main point is that object storage repositories are more efficient (and receive more features) than repositories based on Jet databases.