Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pmichelli
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

What is the recommendation for DRS and Proxies?

Post by pmichelli »

I can't find anything in the docs. Yesterday I switched my Linux proxies to Windows 11 ones. Last night all of my jobs failed and then managed to complete successfully.

The Veeam logs showed me : Error: [AP] (3c4bcfb1) Can't run command because agent is closed or has error

When i went digging, I noticed DRS had vMotioned the proxy to another host at the exact same time as this error was thrown.

The Linux proxies have never once vMotioned with DRS during a backup. What is the recommendation from Veeam?

I decided to add a DRS rule to set these 2 Windows proxies to be manual . Don't move anything, just give me a recommendation.

If this does not solve the problem I will open another SR tomorrow morning. Just wanted to get some opinions here.
rovshan.pashayev
Veeam Software
Liked: 42 times
Full Name: Rovshan Pashayev

Re: What is the recommendation for DRS and Proxies?

Post by rovshan.pashayev »

Hello,

Scheduling (or disabling as you did) vMotion operations for VM Proxy, beyond backup jobs' timeframes is advisable to prevent any potential complications.
But fact that you did had vMotion at the same time of jobs & caused issue, would need further investigation, please consider opening the case.

Rovshan
Rovshan Pashayev
Analyst
Veeam Agent for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris
SSSSSStorage
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: T C

Re: What is the recommendation for DRS and Proxies?

Post by SSSSSStorage »

I have never seen anything official in the documentation about veeam utilising affinity rules to prevent vMotions, but I have done it for other backup systems in the past.
interestingly, we have just changed from Windows Proxies to Linux ones and have not seen any differences in behaviour. Its just a shame that mount servers and main server for us have to stay on Windows machines.