Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pmichelli
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Linux VMware Backup Proxy Issues / How To Escalate ?

Post by pmichelli »

Hello Dev team,

I have had a problem that will not go away since we upgraded to V12. This NEVER happened in V11.

I am using Ubuntu 22 proxies for VMware (used to use Ubuntu 20 in V11). They work flawlessly for about 2 months, then it seems almost at the 2 month mark, one or more of the proxies starts throwing errors in the backup jobs and eventually just stops working.

The only way for me to fix this, is to remove the proxy and the Linux VM from Veeam, re-add it and have it re-install the transport agent. This fixes the problem every time and allows me to backup for another 2 months. This is really unstable and is starting to get on my nerves. I don't want to go back to Windows proxies at all.

I have opened 3 SRs and each time no one knows how to fix it so they say "do the fix you know will make it work". I am tired of this. I want this issue escalated to a team that can diagnose and find a root cause please. What do I need to do?

Here is an example of what I see in the backup summary. When I start seeing these, I know its just a matter of days until the proxy stops working and the jobs will fail.

Processing redactednameofVM
Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond x.x.x.x:2515
Processing redactednameofVM
Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond x.x.x.x:2514

Thank You
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Linux VMware Backup Proxy Issues / How To Escalate ?

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi,
to help you further can you please share the ticket IDs here?
Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
pmichelli
Enthusiast

Post by pmichelli »

Here are 2 case numbers. I think the 3rd may have been rolled into another issue I opened "Gateway not found". I appreciate not everyone may understand Linux, but it would be good if they can escalate the ticket(s) to someone that does, or a L2 team to help find a root cause. It really is a problem for me as I am the sole backup admin and have to take a laptop with me even when I am off, in case Veeam starts failing backups. We need to rely on this to work 100% every day. I can't keep one eye on it to make sure jobs run every night.

Case #06200095
Case #06043966

Please let me know what to do. Where are the transport/proxy logs located in Ubuntu? I can sanitize and post them here as well.
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi again,
I can see that both cases are already some weeks old and closed. Also there is mentioned by you that what was done solved the relevant ticket (06043966).
What I would like to ask you is that you open a new ticket with fresh logs and let our team have a look.
If the ticket doesn't proceed you can use the process explained here: https://www.veeam.com/kb2320
It explains how to escalate a ticket (which is part of you question here).
Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
pmichelli
Enthusiast

Post by pmichelli »

I gave up and went back to Windows 11 proxies. The problem is support is very slow these days and they want me to keep the system in a broken state while they keep asking me for more logs every day and never figure out what is going on. The problem is the jobs fail until I fix this proxy issue so I can't have a week or more worth of broken backups.

This is why I asked how I can get a case to L2 right away. I have to admit I am very disappointed overall with V12. We are not a Windows shop, the ability to use Linux VMWare backup proxies was a huge win for us in V11. Now it seems I have no choice because no one can figure this out and support thinks its ok to leave a customer in a broken state for days or weeks on end.
SSSSSStorage
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: T C

Post by SSSSSStorage »

I have just switched to linux proxies for the majority of our environment. used Ubunutu 22 with minimal installation and with vmware tools manually installed, then built proxies from that as a template.