Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bobbyk18
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bobby

Replicating a very large VM to another host

Post by bobbyk18 »

Operating System: Server 2008r2
Veeam Version: 6.0.0.181
VMware Version: ESXi 5 (515841)

We are attempting to do an initial replica to another host in our data center before moving it to a remote site. We are fine with replicating most of our VMs, but our file server is a gigantic monster and having problems replicating in a rational amount of time. We do have a successful backup of it, however. The VM has 5 2TB disks and one 30GB OS Disk. They're spread across six different LUNs, but on average the disks are between 50 and 70% filled, so the thin provisioned size of the VM is 6.7TB.

We are wondering what the best way would be to replicate this. We had tried moving single disk at a time and then adding more disks to the backup job and Veeam would say it was successful, but the disks would be empty. We have also tried using initial backup seeding, but we have problems with network timeouts when moving the VM to the other host using Veeam or FTP. We also tried to sneakernet it across using a NAS, but were having problems with the formatting, so we added it as an NFS datastore and are planning to move the backup over there and try seeding it.

Basically, i'm looking for someone who has had a good experience with replicating a large VM using Veeam and how you did it. I have a case with support open(5169227), but i don't think they have much experience with something like this because they weren't able to offer many solutions or best practices.

Thank you!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Replicating a very large VM to another host

Post by dellock6 »

Seeding is really the way to go. I personally did it for a 2.2 Tb VM, and I never thought for a minute to move the seed via FTP, this would make backup seeding useless. I copied the VBK in a simple USB drive and moved by car to the DR site.
More than the initial seeding, you will have to check carefully the daily amount of CBT for this VM. When doing local backups, what's the daily change amount?
Also, you did not tell us anything about the link between the two sites.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
bobbyk18
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bobby

Post by bobbyk18 »

Thanks for the response. What file system did you use to move the 2.2 TB VM? the reverse incremental deltas for the backups are usually around 45GB.

As for the link, it doesn't come into play yet, but i'm sure that's the next obstacle. We currently have a 20Mbps fiber line to the other office. We have it split at the switch so that ~10Mbps goes into our WAN optimization for end users and 10 of it is only for our DR traffic(veeam).
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

A windows 2008R2 computer with GPT partition and a 2x3 Tb disk in raid0, with Veeam Backup and FastSCP on-board, just in case they are needed. But remember that when you do seeding, usual compression ratio will apply, so you will end up having smaller backup file than the full VM. I do not remember the exact number,but was below the 2 Tb limit.
Uhm, with 45Gb to move and 1.25MBs, it means you will need 10.24 hours at every run. If you can afford this RTO, you are good to go. If not, consider changing the split at least during off-work hours.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1