Plexi87
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sebastian A.

I forgot to "Remove from Configuration" before moving Files

Post by Plexi87 »

Dear Veeam Community

Tasks:
We removed an old infrastructure that had a standalone Veeam server.
The VMs were transferred to a new VMware cluster. There, another Veeam server now takes care of the backups.
The folder with the old backup files was copied to a previously created repository and successfully scanned.
A new backup job was then created with the same name and settings like the old job. The new repository has been selected.
To integrate the existing backup files into the new backup job, the option "Map Backups" was selected. He was able to successfully find and assign the old backups.

Now to the problem or question:
In the Home tab under "Backups --> Disk" I can successfully see the backups with the same number (33) of restore points as on the old server.
After running the job, all VMs are now displayed twice. The new ones with 1 restore point and for the others one restore point was removed (32).

What is the reason for this behavior?
Is it because we have forgotten to select the "Remove from Configuration" option before moving files or is it because it is no longer the original backup job that has been customized?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Please note: This is an reverse incremental backup job.

Sebastian :D
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: I forgot to "Remove from Configuration" before moving Files

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes and you can "remove from configuration" also now by CTRL+right click

Best regards,
Hannes
Plexi87
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sebastian A.

Post by Plexi87 »

Hi Hannes,

Thank You!

Yes, what? Is it because of the "new backup job" or because the "Remove from Coniguration" command was not executed? Or both? :-)

We have other backups that have been placed on this new repository and have been re-linked in the existing job according to method A of https://www.veeam.com/kb1729. The symptom did not occur there. I therefore assume that the reason is that a new job was created for the backups mentioned above.

Thank you for the clarification.

Best Regards,
Sebastian
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
hmm, maybe I got lost in which backup server is meant in which situations. :-)

I assume the duplicated jobs are on the new server. Is it possible that a new full backup also exists on the new server? Are there differences in Backup & Replication versions (V11 vs V12 for example) and could it be that the old backup server used "per job" backup chains while the new backup server has "per machine" backup chains? Or something else that is different?

Overall, it looks like it's working fine if the old restore points are cleaned up (no problem as far as I see).

Best regards,
Hannes