Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Reimold
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Reimold

Windows Replica licensing

Post by Reimold »

Hello,

could someone help with a question taht came up about the correct licensing of Windows-Server Replicas? The hosts that have the production VM´s are fully licensed (without software assurance) and we make a replica each night to a different host. Do we need to get a licnses for those powered off VM´s ?

I did not find recent information that helps me in that matter.

Thank you

Dirk
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Windows Replica licensing

Post by Mildur »

Hello Dirk

Is this question about Microsoft or Veeam licensing?
We can answer for Veeam, for Microsoft you should check out Microsoft forums or contact Microsoft sales guys.

As long as you don't create backups of a replica VM, you don't require additional Veeam licenses.
You need a single Veeam license per source virtual machine (or socket for entire source host). One license will cover all backup and replication jobs of the same virtual machine/host.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Reimold
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Reimold

Post by Reimold »

Hello Fabian,

the question raltes to Microsoft licensing and I had hoped to get som information about that topic here - we are in contact with our Microsoft partners as well, but it would help to have another view on the topic.

Thank you

Dirk
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tyler.jurgens »

This is definitely a question for your Microsoft partners. Microsoft licensing is a beast to understand, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. I hesitate to even *want* to post this because frankly I could be completely wrong and I don't want you to fail a Microsoft audit because you listened to some guy (even if he is devilishly handsome) on a Veeam forum.

My understanding is you'd be compliant if you had SA licenses on your Windows VMs.
Here is a chart on SA benefits:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensi ... y-benefits
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social