Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
aboy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: ABOY

Veeam Agent File Level Job on Dedup Data

Post by aboy »

Hi,

I just would like to know if I'm doing a file level backup job from Veeam agent on Windows Server with deduplication data.
The backup file will store the rehydrated files or with deduplicated files inside ?

I would to know because the destination storage is a Exagrid Dedup appliance.

Thanks.

A.B
jason.berry
Veeam Software
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Berry

Re: Veeam Agent File Level Job on Dedup Data

Post by jason.berry »

A.B

You may want to check out the following documents:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... ion&ver=60
https://www.veeam.com/kb1745

There are settings that you modify specifically for dedupe appliances. Those settings will dictate how much the agent dedupe and compresses backed-up data before being sent to Exagrid.
aboy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: ABOY

Post by aboy »

Hi,

I'm not talking about the vbk file but the source data on the source disk.
The source server is a file Windows file server with windows deduplication feature enable on the data volume.

In fact if I'm doing vm backup level from vsphere the data is store inside the vbk in deduplicated state.
That I would like to know it's if I'm doing a file level backup directly inside this file server with agent, the data inside the vbk will be store in deduplicated state or rehydrated ?

Thanks for help.

Have a nice day.
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Post by BackupBytesTim »

If I'm understanding the explanation correctly you're backing up a vsphere VM running Windows Server and Windows Server inside the VM is managing a deduplicated filesystem inside the virtual disk. In this scenario anything outside the virtual machine will have no knowledge of the deduplication, such as Veeam or vsphere. So when performing a backup of the VM you're backing up contents that are already deduplicated, so Veeam is storing deduplicated data inside the VBK file, Veeam backs up the disk image for the VM not the files on the disk image.

Alternatively if you were instead to do a file level backup inside the virtual machine, running Veeam within your Windows Server that runs in the virtual machine, Veeam would access actual files provided by the file system in the "rehydrated" state and so would be storing fully "hydrated" files in the VBK file.