Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jboisjoli
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Julie Boisjoli

Backup a SQL DB with an encrypted stored proc?

Post by jboisjoli »

I have encrypted stored procedures in some of my databases. I get an error when trying to backup DBs with encrypted procs. Is it possible to backup SQL Server DBs (on Azure) with encrypted stored procedures?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup a SQL DB with an encrypted stored proc?

Post by PetrM »

Hi Julie,

May I ask you to share how do you back up the database using our solution (f.g. is it a regular backup job?), the error you are getting and a support case ID?

Thanks!
jboisjoli
Novice

Post by jboisjoli »

I am at the investigation stage, deciding if Veeam is the right product to use to backup SQL Server (our SysOps dept uses veeam for servers). So I do not have a regular backup job, I have just been doing tests (backup/restore to different Managed Instance) and noticed that I get an error if I try to backup a DB with an encrypted stored proc. I'm wondering if this is a showstopper (I need to look for a different product - Veeam can't do the job) or if there is a workaround for this.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

I'd be glad to help you make this decision despite my opinion could be a little bit prejudiced... :) May I ask you to review the questions from my previous post and did you try our plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server?

Thanks!
jboisjoli
Novice

Post by jboisjoli »

Our Infrastructure team says these are the products we are using to run the backups:

"The products we are using are Veeam Backup and Replication and Veeam Backup for Azure (VBA). VBA version 5 would be the actual product doing the backups and restores"
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Julie,

Where do you run SQL databases, on virtual machines in Azure or this is Azure SQL Database (database as a service)? You may have a look at Azure SQL Database backup available in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure but please use this forum for all VBA-related questions.

Thanks!