Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
JWat
Veeam Software
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Watkins

Purview tagged/labeled data handling

Post by JWat »

I have received the following but I am unsure of the correct answer looking through the Veeam documentation. If you could possibly provide some guidance on the below, it would be appreciated.

Does Veeam Cirrus handle Purview tagged/labeled data, such that we can have dynamic retention periods on data as tagged/labeled in SharePoint? We’re not worried about OneDrive or email or Azure data (we’ll set those jobs up with a different policy at a minimum threshold) but SharePoint data is where we have a mixed bag of data types that we are depending on Purview labeling to classify, so we’d need our backup solution to handle accordingly.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Purview tagged/labeled data handling

Post by Mildur »

Hello Joe

Cirrus is using Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 as the backend. It has the same capabilities and limitations when it comes to backup and restore features. So I will answer the question for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365.
but SharePoint data is where we have a mixed bag of data types that we are depending on Purview labeling to classify
Sensitivity labels attached to documents will be protected through the metadata. When you restore such document, the sensitivity label assignment gets restored with the document.
Please note: The configuration of the label itself and the policies in Microsoft Purview are not backed up.

such that we can have dynamic retention periods on data as tagged/labeled in SharePoint?
Unfortunately this is not possible.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 protects entire SharePoint Sites. A backup job can not have single documents as a source object.
We also don't have filters to protect objects based on specified properties.

Best,
Fabian

PS:
If you want to check out Cirrus, you can book a Demo with our Cirrus team or try it out yourself with a 2 week free trial period:
https://cirrusbackup.com/
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software