Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
desmith
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Derek Smith

Shared blocks on capacity tier

Post by desmith »

Looking into an unexpected increase in object storage utilisation for capacity tier in case 07011689

Retention policy and operational restore window/move to capacity tier configuration aims to offload only synthetic full restore points to capacity tier.

GFS retains 4 weekly, 12 monthly and 7 yearly backups, and capacity tier is moved to archive after 60 days.

I had thought the GFS restore points on object storage to share one copy of each unique block offloaded, but reviewing S3 folder size for a per-machine backup from a VM which I knew has had 2.5 TB of unchanged data between each restore point, and under 100GB of change between weekly backups at most, I see multiple folders over 1.6TB in size and about 1TB of data in smaller folders with modified dates in between the 1.6TB folders. Is this expected behaviour?
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: Shared blocks on capacity tier

Post by haslund »

From version 12, indexes are no longer used during offload to capacity tier - so you are correct that this is expected behaviour now. You can see this documented at the top of this page: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
desmith
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Derek Smith

Re: Shared blocks on capacity tier

Post by desmith »

Why the change from storage efficiency? From a quick Google search, AWS reliability figures for S3 are way above Audi's, but I remember there being a lot of 9s.

I'm good with keeping a few copies of each block, but actual fulls for every GFS in each tier?