Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Henrik.Grevelund
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Henrik Grevelund

Large tape copy and Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs

Post by Henrik.Grevelund »

Hi,

I have been asked to figure out how to create a monthly tape copy of the entire installation.
The biggest server using the agent, creates a 260 TB VBK file.
The backup are written to a hardenend linux repository, with a weekly synth. full backup.

I expect the tape job to run with 200Mb/sec, thereby resulting in a 15 days running time.

If i use "Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs" then we won't have backup for 15 days. Not possible.

The documentation states this:
Sometimes, the source job may start when the tape job is still running. This may cause a conflict if the source job needs to perform the following operations:
Merge of backup files
Reverse incremental backup transformation
Compact of full backup file
Retention Policy maintenance.

Not sure if i misinterpret "Sometimes", i don't like maybee's
So i dont select "Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs" will the normal backup job then abort the tape job every day ?
Or just every 7 days, when it needs to delete old files pr. retention for the oldest circle ?
Have nice day,
Henrik
JaySt
Service Provider
Liked: 75 times
Full Name: JaySt

Re: Large tape copy and Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs

Post by JaySt »

just had some challenges last week with this as well.
With that checkbox, "Interrupted" is wrongly chosen in my opinion, as it is not "paused" or continuing where it was when it was stopped by the primary job. It's more like "terminated" or "stopped".
So you'll have to start the tape job (by schedule or manually/scripted) when it's being stopped by the primary job. And chances are pretty big you'll see that happen every run of the primary job.
Veeam Certified Engineer
Henrik.Grevelund
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Henrik Grevelund

Re: Large tape copy and Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs

Post by Henrik.Grevelund »

Hi Jay,

Thanks for you comment.

I would like to get a response from the product team as well, about the expected behaviour ?
Have nice day,
Henrik
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Henrik,
If i use "Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs" then we won't have backup for 15 days. Not possible.
When enable this option does not allow back up job to take over the tape job processing the same backups. When enabled backup is still created but post job operations are not such as merge, transform, compact, retention; any activity that will modify the existing backup chain that is being processed by the tape job.
So i dont select "Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs" will the normal backup job then abort the tape job every day ?
You will have the backup on disk but may have delayed retention for the disk backup if tape job is currently running. Delayed means it wont be performed during the current job run, but will be performed next run when tape job is not conflicting for backup access.

Thank you!