Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 62 times

Seeding data from Linux hardened repository ...

Post by Didi7 » 1 person likes this post

Hello everbody,

how do people extract data from a Linux hardened repository to seed it in another location without syncing the full backup on low bandwith WAN-connections? And if it's possible to seed the data with an external HDD oder SSD, must it be seeded in another Windows or Linux hardened repository before syncing it to object storage or can these full backups be seeded in to object storage directly and if yes, how?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Seeding data from Linux hardened repository ...

Post by Mildur »

Hi Didi7

I moved your topic to our object storage forum.
May I ask, what‘s your target object storage?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hello Fabian,

that depends! We might do backup copies to AWS or Azure or Wasabi. That's not decided. The first question is ... can full backups be exported from the local Linux Hardened Repository. e.g. to an external HDD or SSD and then be transported to another location, let's say a datacenter with much higher connections to any cloud provider to import the full backups from the external HDD or SSD and be seeded into another local Linux Hardened Repository or even directly into object storage?

Best regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Didi7

Thanks. Yes, but not through exporting a full backup.

For backup copy jobs, you can to follow our user guide for seeding backup copy jobs. You may use it to seed the data to another hardened repository.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

For object storage, additional steps will be required. Object storage doesn‘t have backup files such as vbk or vib. Therefore it must be written differently.

First step:
You can follow the user guide to seed the backups to the other location.

Second step:
Use „Move Backups“ to migrate the backups from OnPremise storage to a object storage repository.

Option for Azure or AWS:
Both services will provide you with there own seeding service.
Azure: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
AWS:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hello Fabian, first of all thanks for your quick reply.

Maybe I used the term 'export' in a misunderstanding context. A couple of years ago, I tested the WAN accelerator and manually copied original backups from the first repository to a second repository. I transfered the *.vbm and *.vbk files to the destination repository with the help of USB3.0 external harddisks and seeded them locally.

So, if I understand you correctly, we can copy the *.vbm and *.vbk files from the local hardened repository to a datacenter hardened repository using an external USB3.0 HDD or SSD and as soon as those files are seeded locally in the datacenter, we can continue to copy further incrementals with Backup Copy jobs using the WAN connection.

Now, can this Linux Hardened Repository in the datacenter (the second backup location) with much faster connections to cloud providers be used to copy all backups within the second Linux Hardened repository to object storage directly with Veeam B&R onboard logic?

How do we get access to the full backup files on the local Linux Hardened Repository, when the Veeam B&R server is located in the datacenter?

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

So, if I understand you correctly, we can copy the *.vbm and *.vbk files from the local hardened repository to a datacenter hardened repository using an external USB3.0 HDD or SSD and as soon as those files are seeded locally in the datacenter, we can continue to copy further incrementals with Backup Copy jobs using the WAN connection.
If those vbm/vbk files on your "local hardened repository" are created by a backup job, then it won't work. Backup files from backup jobs cannot be mapped to a backup copy job. You need to create those backup files with a backup copy job before you transfer them to the second location.
Just follow the user guide I have shared with you: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
You can use a USB drive as the temporary repository for the backup copy job before shipping the files to the second location.
Now, can this Linux Hardened Repository in the datacenter (the second backup location) with much faster connections to cloud providers be used to copy all backups within the second Linux Hardened repository to object storage directly with Veeam B&R onboard logic?
Yes, if you use the second Hardened Repository in a SOBR as a performance tier. Object Storage will be your Capacity Tier. All Restore Points copied to the Hardened Repository can be copied and/or moved to the Capacity Tier.
Please note, Direct Copy to object storage is not possible, because v12 doesn't allow to create a backup copy from backup copy job.
How do we get access to the full backup files on the local Linux Hardened Repository, when the Veeam B&R server is located in the datacenter?
The "backup job"-backup files on the local Hardened Repository are not required for this use case. You must create a backup copy job.

Best,
Fabian
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hello Fabian,

first of all thanks for replying so fast. In the meantime I had more time to find out, how things like seeding backup data in a second location works and how we can import those data at the destination location.

Is Linux Server 20.04.6 LTS still recommended or would it make sense to switch to 22.04.3 LTS already?

Regards,
Didi7