Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chrisflyckelen
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Questions regarding "Remove deleted items after ...

Post by chrisflyckelen »

Hey guys,

I have a more complex question regarding how the option "Remove deleted items after" in the advanced job settings works on GFS restore points.

Due to an infrastructure renewal, a new vCenter was deployed. The virtual machines were migrated to that new environment. (I'm aware that full backup is performed after that.)
To reference the backup scope VMware tags were used which were re-created in the new environment and the existing backup jobs were re-configured with the tags from the new infrastructure.
The backup jobs have also the feature "Remove deleted items after" set to 180 days. The retention is set to retain 7 restore points, 2 weekly, 13 monthly, and 3 yearly backups.

Due to the full backup on the vCenter a new backup chain is created the VMs are listed twice in backup -> disk hive. One entry with the existing backups and one entry with the backups created newly.
From my understanding, the backups from the "old world" are no longer processed by the job and should be deleted after 180 days. But the main question is what happens to the GFS restore points. Were they deleted after 180 days, too?

Thanks for clarifying this in advcance!

Thank you,
Christian
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Questions regarding "Remove deleted items after ...

Post by Mildur »

Hi Christian

The "Deleted Items Retention" does not affect GFS backups. GFS backups will be removed when their GFS retention is over.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
- Retention policy for deleted items does not apply to full backup files to which GFS flags are assigned.
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software