Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

(Linux/VM) mount server for SureBackup/VirtualLabs?

Post by pirx »

We are migrating from v10 to v11a and we have already switched to Linux + reflinks as backup repository. Next we will use those servers as proxies and decommission the existing Windows servers (bare metal, not VMs). But now I noticed that Linux servers can not be used as mount server. This is something I missed completely and is a pity. Especially as the data is already there.

Are there any plans to add Linux hosts as mount server in the future?

So we still need at least one Windows system as mount server. We could use the VBR server for this but I'm not that comfortable with it. We want to use SureBackup in the future (1700 VMs overall) so there will be some load on the mount server. What are the mount server requirements regarding performance for SureBackup etc? Would a couple of VMs be ok or should we deploy a bare metal server (which we wanted to get rid of...)?

The mount server reads that data from backup repository and then exports it as nfs share, so the dataflow is:

Linux repo -> network -> mount VM -> ESXi host (and writes on local mount server cache if no datastore for this is defined)

FiberChannel will not help or be used at all. So it's mainly about network performance and maybe fast local storage as write cache? Any experience with mount servers as VM and a lot of SureBackup VMs? ESXi network is 10G.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: (Linux/VM) mount server for SureBackup/VirtualLabs?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
in general we plan to add more and more components on Linux in future. For short-term, the chances are very low.

Your understanding is correct. I would suggest a practical way: try it out whether VMs are good enough or not. Putting the mountserver VMs on the ESXi hosts where the virtual labs run should improve performance.

Best regards,
Hannes
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

It's strange that a Linux repository server needs a Windows server to export datastores as NFS shares to ESXi. That doesn't look right. Now that Linux is supported as repository server as well as Veeam proxy. I understand that making this possible means adding new code. But the way it is now is more than suboptimal. And making this possible doesn't seem to be too complex to be implemented.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

it's not only instant recovery... it's also mounting the backup file which is done in Windows with help of a filesystem driver (I simplified here, but just to point out it's not only NFS).
b.vanhaastrecht
Service Provider
Liked: 154 times
Full Name: Bastiaan van Haastrecht

Post by b.vanhaastrecht »

I totally agree with Prix, we currently need to place a windows machine next to the Linux based rep's, and customers are very surprised about this. NFS within Linux doesn't seem to be far fetched.

So a big +1 on getting mount services + power NFS on Linux based repositories.
======================================================
Veeam ProPartner, Service Provider and a proud Veeam Legend
jbcap
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Bell

Post by jbcap »

Yes, also a big, huge +1 to this please.

For us, it is almost useless having a linux proxy if we still rely on a windows mount server.
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

Any news regarding Linux as mount server in v12? We're now at the point where we either have to purchase new hardware as replacement for the last remaining 2 HW Windows servers, try to replace them with some Win VMs (not sure how this will work with surebackup - if we ever get it running) or wait for v12 and finally use our new Apollo Linux Proxies/Repos for that.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
unfortunately no news. No mount server on Linux in V12.

Best regards,
Hannes
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

That's what I expected as I did not read anything about it yet. I miss a bit the concept what components are ported to Linux and a roadmap, to leave out such a central component like the mount server is really frustrating. Just for this we need a Windows at every remote location in addition to the Linux Repo server.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

+1 to Linux Mount Server role
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

yes, we plan the mount server on Linux. Unfortunately not in 12a, but it's a priority after 12a.
pemok
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kscheminski

Post by pemok » 1 person likes this post

Veeam B&R 12.1 was just released. There is still no Linux mount server support....
Could you at least make this 100% clear in the system requirements documentation?
It says i quote:

"Backup Repository

These requirements also apply to mount servers (if separate from the repository server), gateway servers for file share and deduplicating appliance-based repositories, and cache repository servers."

This statement suggest all Linux repositories can be used as mount server.
regards
PemoK
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Linux mount server is a big architectural change for Veeam B&R engine. It's remained planned but not for a minor release or patch.

Big thanks for pointing to inaccurate information in the Help Center, we will get it fixed.