Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jamieburchell
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jamie Burchell

How is an unlocked BitLocker volume restored encrypted?

Post by jamieburchell »

I've been testing entire computer backups and Bare Metal restores with Veeam Agent for Windows on a BitLocker encrypted system. I expected to see my restored computer unencrypted since the backup was created from an unlocked drive when Windows was running, but it seems the volume was still encrypted and had the same recovery keys. I note from the docs that encrypted volume restores to original locations remain encrypted. How does that work?

I tested a different scenario where I ATA Secure Erased the drive and performed the restore and the restored volume was unencrypted and required re-encrypting and new keys.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How is an unlocked BitLocker volume restored encrypted?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jamie,

BitLocker keys are controlled by the hardware (TPM module) and Windows operating system, when restoring the data to original location we obey the Windows rules, keeping the volume as-is with all the settings preserved and populate it with the data from the backup. Possibly another vendor somehow recreates the volume from scratch and that causes the mentioned issue. Thank you!
jamieburchell
Novice

Post by jamieburchell »

Hi Dima

But how is the restored volume still encrypted after the restore? Is the BitLocker volume data stored encrypted and unlocked or unencrypted in the Veeam backup?
jamieburchell
Novice

Post by jamieburchell »

I think the restored data was being encrypted at rest on the BitLocker enabled volume during the restore process due to BitLocker support within the Veeam Recovery Media and the destination volume being unlocked. When I nuked the drive with a SATA Secure Erase there were no existing volumes and so this didn't happen.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

But how is the restored volume still encrypted after the restore?
If you are not removing the original volume but populate it with the data from the backup there is no 'volume state' change.
Is the BitLocker volume data stored encrypted and unlocked or unencrypted in the Veeam backup?
Unencrypted, otherwise it's not possible to restore it. During backup the volume must be unlocked otherwise the job fails.
I think the restored data was being encrypted at rest on the BitLocker enabled volume during the restore process due to BitLocker support within the Veeam Recovery Media and the destination volume being unlocked. When I nuked the drive with a SATA Secure Erase there were no existing volumes and so this didn't happen.
Correct, we do not encrypt the data. The volume is unlocked so we can add new content to the volume, while Windows with BitLocker engine does the encryption. Here is the detailed KB: BitLocker Encrypted Volumes Support
jamieburchell
Novice

Post by jamieburchell » 1 person likes this post

Brilliant, thanks!