Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
souperstar
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris

Veeam 6, Proxies required?

Post by souperstar »

Title says it all: Veeam 6, Proxies required? Running vSphere 4.1 but upgrading to 5 very soon. Have two hosts on-site, with a cold replication off-site.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam 6, Proxies required?

Post by foggy »

Chris, we have no idea of you configuration, number of VMs and amount of changes they produce, as well as your backup strategy. It is impossible to tell without this information. Once you have installed Veeam B&R, you have the default proxy server set up, which could be sufficient to handle backups in a small environment. Also, if you are planning to replicate offsite, you need additional proxy server in your DR site to optimize replication performance.
souperstar
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris

Re: Veeam 6, Proxies required?

Post by souperstar »

I see, I should clarify that I'm just trying to understand how many Windows Server licenses I need to purchase for these new proxy servers. I've been reading the release notes and it looks like I will at the minimum need a remote proxy at the DR site, as you wrote. If I understand correctly, my current Veeam server will also be a proxy server by default.

Our current Veeam 5 server is physical, 8 core, 6GB RAM, Server 2008 R2, Fiber Channel for direct connection to our SAN. We currently have no proxies. It's a small environment with about 20 servers that we replicate, with a 10Mbit WAN link to the DR.

So, one virtual proxy server on our remote ESX host should be sufficient I hope. I'm going to go further and download the manual and give it a thorough read. I just needed this answer fairly quickly. Thank you for your reply!