Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Hirosh
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Hirosh Arya

Veeam Licenses

Post by Hirosh »

Hi guys,

one of our customers is planning to migrate from Netbackup to Veeam B&R, so asked for Veeam Licensing in their RFP. i have already been to Veeam KB and documents to Decide which licensing approach is best suit them, but honestly the Guide is truly complex and confusing. anyone can help with the following Scale, or guide me with helpful source which i can refer to?:

- 5000 VMs
- 4 Veeam Backup Srv for 4 different Datacenters
- they are using SQL , ORACLE and Exchange as applications in the 10% of the their VMs
- they are using round 50TB of NAS Storage
- they are planning to use Enterprise backup Manager
- They are planning to use SOBR
- they are not going to use Cloud features
- they are not going to use VeeamOne

regards,
Sam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam Licenses

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

Licensing is not really an R&D topic and it's best for you to discuss this with your Veeam Sales rep. While we here can help if you have technical questions about some specific features.

What do you find "truly complex and confusing" about the licensing though? Our licensing is very straight-forward these days with only 3 options to choose from depending on which functionality you need. If you say they don't need Veeam ONE (Monitoring & Analytics) or Recovery Orchestration then it leaves you with Foundation. Plus, they can always upgrade to a higher tier later.

Thanks
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Post by Origin 2000 »

Veeam Data Platform FOUNDATION

All current 3 "Versions" are just Bundles and all 3 are based on VeeamBR Enterprise+. So all the requested features are included and because the Foundation doesnt include VeeamONE it might be the first and most likely best match.

About speaking of the 50TB someone must take a look into the price book and check if 100 VULs( 1 VUL is for 500GB) or the special NAS licences are the better choice. But for the later one i have a 250 minimum in mind.

So get in contact with a Veeam Salte Rep.

Question: Are you acting as Service Proivider?

Regards,
Joerg
Hirosh
Enthusiast

Post by Hirosh »

Gostev wrote: Nov 22, 2023 8:49 pm Hi,

Licensing is not really an R&D topic and it's best for you to discuss this with your Veeam Sales rep. While we here can help if you have technical questions about some specific features.

What do you find "truly complex and confusing" about the licensing though? Our licensing is very straight-forward these days with only 3 options to choose from depending on which functionality you need. If you say they don't need Veeam ONE (Monitoring & Analytics) or Recovery Orchestration then it leaves you with Foundation. Plus, they can always upgrade to a higher tier later.

Thanks
Hi,

it is my understanding that socket-based licenses are not offered anymore, is that right?
for start lets say we use Advanced VUL, how can i count how many licenses i would need for a scale such as one i laid out in my previous inquiry? i would like to answer a simple question on how to calculate the number of license i would use for a scenario, is there a guide for that?

regards,
Sam.
Hirosh
Enthusiast

Post by Hirosh »

Origin 2000 wrote: Nov 22, 2023 10:20 pm Veeam Data Platform FOUNDATION

All current 3 "Versions" are just Bundles and all 3 are based on VeeamBR Enterprise+. So all the requested features are included and because the Foundation doesnt include VeeamONE it might be the first and most likely best match.

About speaking of the 50TB someone must take a look into the price book and check if 100 VULs( 1 VUL is for 500GB) or the special NAS licences are the better choice. But for the later one i have a 250 minimum in mind.

So get in contact with a Veeam Salte Rep.

Question: Are you acting as Service Proivider?

Regards,
Joerg
Hi,

no we consult & supervise the Backup and Storage Solutions for the Customer.

regards,
Sam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hirosh wrote: Nov 23, 2023 8:34 ami would like to answer a simple question on how to calculate the number of license i would use for a scenario, is there a guide for that?
Any Veeam reseller can do this for you, they have the guides and tools to create offers.

There's also a calculator on our web-site but this is for SMB only, it goes to max 50 workloads total > https://www.veeam.com/pricing-calculator

But it gives you an idea how simple the licensing is. Every workload consumes 1 license and you just add them up :)
Hirosh
Enthusiast

Post by Hirosh »

@Gostev

so basically there is no guide for calculation! we just ask a reseller to calculate for us then they would let us know how many we need?!! what if i want to know how this is calculated? a bit impractical & not very straight forward :))
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

There's no guide to calculation because you're not supposed to calculate this yourself in the first place. Remember Veeam does not sell direct, except to small businesses (thus the page I referenced earlier). So just give the information you included in your first post to a few Veeam resellers, and they will make you an offer - usually with a discount from the list price since you have a large environment - and consult you on any other license-related matters like what is the best edition for your needs.

In general though it's very straightforward: based on the information above I expect you will need 5000 VUL for VMs (1 VUL covers 1 VM) and 100 VULs for NAS (1 VUL cover 0.5TB) = 5100 VULs total. May be coming from NetBackup you're mentally prepared for something much more complex, as I heard some horror stories about their licensing (at least back in time). But with Veeam, the licensing is really super simple.
Hirosh
Enthusiast

Post by Hirosh »

@Gostev

Thank you for your comments, notes taken.
Hirosh
Enthusiast

Post by Hirosh »

guys i got one more question , if the backup servers are in dark sites, how do we add and enable licenses on multiple servers?
does it need internet access to be enabled?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, our licenses can be used offline.
a-tome
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Levin

Post by a-tome »

"speaking of the 50TB" - If you look at the licensing for this, the type of backup you choose dictates the license costs. Are you planning file-based backups, or LUN/Volume image based backups? Note that file-based backups are both much slower and much more expensive.