Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
astoinemicro
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: morad astoine

Inquiry on Reducing Disk Space Usage by Deleting SharePoint Backup Data in Veeam Backup for Office 365

Post by astoinemicro »

Dear Veeam Support Team,

I am currently using Veeam Backup for Office 365 and seeking guidance on how to effectively manage disk space. My primary concern is to understand how I can reduce disk space usage by selectively deleting backup data from SharePoint, without impacting the other backed-up data like OneDrive and Exchange.

I am backing up a Microsoft 365 tenant, and I have observed that the disk space is rapidly getting utilized. I believe that selectively removing SharePoint backup data might help in managing the space more efficiently.

Could you please provide detailed instructions or guidance on how to safely delete only the SharePoint backup data? Also, if there are any best practices or recommendations for such an operation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your support and assistance.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2306 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Inquiry on Reducing Disk Space Usage by Deleting SharePoint Backup Data in Veeam Backup for Office 365

Post by Mildur »

Hello Morad
I am backing up a Microsoft 365 tenant, and I have observed that the disk space is rapidly getting utilized. I believe that selectively removing SharePoint backup data might help in managing the space more efficiently.
I assume you are using local repositories on a windows volume (jet database based repositories)?
Even if you delete SharePoint Sites from the backup repository, the database won't get smaller. It will use the same disk space as before. When you delete backed up data from such repositories, we will mark the space in the database as free. On the next run of a backup job, newly protected data will be able to use that free space in the database file.

To delete Sharepoint backups only from a repository, you need to use PowerShell.
We have an example in our user guide which deletes all Backups from a single SharePoint Side:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70

Code: Select all

$repository = Get-VBORepository -Name "Repository Name"
$site = Get-VBOEntityData -Type Site -Repository $repository -Name "Name of the SharePoint Site"
Remove-VBOEntityData -Repository $repository -Site $site
Let me know if you need further information.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software