Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Move backups between copy jobs

Post by DanielJ »

After migrations and upgrades I have three different copy backups for the same vms. The current one shows the platform "Image-level". The two older ones is of "VMware Cloud Director" format and only contain GFS restore points. I have them all linked to jobs, and it seems it is possible to move backups between jobs, but only for image-level job (the option is grayed out on the others). I would like to join the two older backups to the current one leaving a single backup. Is that possible? Can the older copy chains be upgraded? I suppose not, since the copy backups would in that case have been upgraded instead of detached and a new chain started when I upgraded the copy job. So please see this as a feature request: to be able to upgrade the format of old copy backups, or in some other way allow joining the restore points they contain to a "modern" backup.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Move backups between copy jobs

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Daniel.

Unfortunately, backups created with Legacy Backup Copy Jobs cannot be upgraded to a new format, and as you correctly stated, a new backup chain will be started upon upgrade.
Feature request is noted, with no guarantees, though - we do expect legacy jobs count to diminish with time and become obsolete at some point.

p.s. all BCJ upgrade scenarios can be found here.

/Thanks!
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Re: Move backups between copy jobs

Post by DanielJ »

In this case I have one yearly restore point in the oldest backup, and I'm obligated to keep it for another 7 years. I think it would be better for Veeam to make it possible to convert these old backups, than to be forced to keep supporting the legacy format for many years (or drop it anyway and put users in a situation).

It would also help to be able to join the oldest legacy backup it to the other legacy backup. I would rather collect it all in one backup (to be able to present it in one report), but two would be better than three.