Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bishoptf
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Bishop

Replication - Manual Failover/Fallback Process

Post by bishoptf »

I have searched and read through the posts along with the user guide but couldn't find any detailed information on how to do this manual. The reason for this is I would like to go through it now while I am in testing versus having to do it for real. My samll setup onlu allows me to have one backup/replication server and if that server goes down I need to understand how to manual fire up the vm's that I need and then how to fail them back to the main server when it comes back online. I think the optimal situation would be to have another server at the backup site to replicate to, since that would require another license which I cannot afford. Given that what is the process for doing this via Vcenter etc, thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication - Manual Failover/Fallback Process

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tom,

The detailed information about performing replica failover and failback via Veeam B&R console is available in User Guide (starting from page 192), cannot really add much to these step-by-step instructions.

If you want to do that without Veeam B&R server, then you can fire up the VMs to any snapshot via vSphere Client and that's it. For the failback purposes you will either need to manually migrate this VM to the production site or use Veeam B&R to failback/replicate it back.

Hope this helps!